1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Sheffey

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Robert J Hutton, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

In the 1800s in the US there was an evangelist named Bob Sheffey. Can anyone on the BB give me some information on him? Did he preach during the Civil War?

Thanking you for your help and kind regards to all.

Bob

2. Brother James

Brother James New Member

Bro. Sheffey preached here in my area of the Blue Ridge mountains.

Robert Sheffey 1820 - 1902 *****

On his grave stone this is engraved "The poor were sorry when he died" Because of the grace of God, these words were very true. Robert was raised by an uncle and ant, who were very well to do. They wanted him to go to college, and he went, for a time.

His rich uncle died, and for a brief amount of time his ant was unable to supply his tuition for college. This became his excuse to discontinue going to college. It is interesting to note that while in college, Robert was told that whatever the future was to hold for him, it wouldn't include public speaking, Robert had great difficulty speaking in public. But God, being rich in mercy caused his son Robert Sheffey, to pray in such a way, that many people were brought closer to God than ever before.

Robert, tried to acquire a "preaching license" and was refused! The presiding elder gave as one of the One reasons for refusal, the way in which Robert prayed. The elder said that people had told him, that when Robert prayed, he seemed to be talking directly to God. Robert asked the elder, "When you pray, to whom do you talk?"

The one thing that set Robert's service to God apart from most other men was this, he would travel many, many miles, to preach or pray, or just to rub liniment on some elderly mountain man's back, all that Robert needed to know was that another human being was in need, and he would go.

A good example of the power of his prayers can be seen in this example. While travelling the back roads of Virginia, Robert came upon a "moon shiner" the making of whiskey was legal back then, Robert told the man that his "work" was hurting many people, for when men get drunk, they beat their wife's, and children, they don't work, and many other hurtful things happen that are not good. The man hit Robert for his effort, Robert got down on his knees before the Lord and prayed, "Lord cause a mighty oak tree to fall on this still, and break it into many pieces, Amen. The moon shiner began to laugh, he said, "there ain't any oak tree within 200 yards of this place! That night, a storm came, with lighting hit an oak tree high up in the mountain, above the moon shiners cabin, the oak, a very, very large one, came rolling down the mountain side and crusted his still. Robert’s prayer was answered, and the results were wonderful, the man didn't make any more whiskey, but instead, turned to the Lord!

It has been said, when Robert prays for someone, things happen. Robert spent his life traveling the back roads, visiting the cabins that were off the beaten path. He was truly God's servant. Once, while traveling a back road, he came upon a wagon, with the horse laying on the ground, dead! He asked what happened, the man and his wife said, "the horse just dropped dead as if it had been shot. Robert told them that just a few miles up the road, was a town, and they could buy a new horse there. The man said in retort, "We ain't got but four dollars, ever heard of a four dollar horse? Robert said lets me pray, and with that, Robert got down on his hands and knees. As he started to pray the told him to give the people his horse. Robert asked the Lord, "Lord do you require so much? Then got up off of his knees and told the man and his wife to get there bridle, and put it on "Gideon" Robert then said to the man and his wife, sometimes praying is just an excuse, the horse was already provided. Robert loved his horse. Robert carried his saddle into the town and was asked "what happened to your horse?" Robert said he had given it away to a needy family, the man said to him, "well bro. Sheffey, we are going to have a horse auction tomorrow morning! Now ain't that a coincidence?" The man went further he said, " I will buy you a new horse!"

When bro. Sheffey died in 1902, the cemetery was crowded to overflowing, and every year since that time, many people return to that cemetery, to visit the grave of this servant of God.

http://www.matthew548.com/t-robert.html

3. shannonL

shannonL New Member

I'm pretty sure Bob Jones U. made a movie,(Film) as they like to call it, about the evangelist. It is simply entitled "Sheffey" I believe.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the history, Brother James. [​IMG]
    But, I think the word for wife of one's uncle, is aunt with a 'u', although it is pronounced ant as in the insect. ;)

5. standingfirminChrist

it is also pronounced 'awnt' in some areas of the US

6. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

7. Gayla

Gayla New Member

"Sheffey" is the title of the film. there is also a book, I believe it is called "The Saint of the Wilderness". I've seen the movie and read the book, both are very good.

BJ's production company is called Unusual Films.

8. shannonL

shannonL New Member

the film is very good. BJ has done some good stuff like that through the years.

9. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I've seen the movie a couple of times at church. It is great to see a movie about Christians where we "ain't" the bad guys.

10. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Thank you for your replies; in England we say"arnt"!

I must try and get hold of the Sheffey DVD, it should be an inspiring film.

Kind regards to all.

Bob

11. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have posted The Saint of the Wilderness... The story of Robert Sheffey... I could do the same here, but only with the permission of the moderators. This is nineteenth century Methodism in its glory.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7630646/