1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bobby Fischer has died

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by KenH, Jan 19, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm surprised this isn't as newsworthy as I think it should be. I think he brought chess into homes and conversations that chess would never have gone without him. I think that's noteworthy.

What's your favorite chess software? We should play sometime on Yahoo.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't played much in the past 7 years. I used to play in tournaments locally for about 5 years in the late 90s. Then the man who headed up the local chess club moved away.

Sure, I would be glad to play some casual games with you on Yahoo.

4. Chessic

Chessic New Member

As a 21+ year veteran of tournament chess (hence the name), I feel I owe a debt of gratitude to Bobby for inspiring my father's generation to play. This generation made chess more popular than it had ever been before in western culture and many of these players passed it on to their children. This is how it came to me, after my father was inspired by Fisher.

Though some of the imbalance he showed early in life became severe later in his life, he inspired a generation of intellectuals in both the realm of chess and cold war competition. And his games are still studied as some of the most instructive and exciting ever played.