1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bobby Knight at it again

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Nov 14, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Well Bobby Knight is in trouble again, this time for pushing the chin of one of his players during a timeout. I just watched the video, and it appears to be ridiculous to me. All he was doing was trying to get the kid to look him in the eye as he talked (yelled) at him.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It looked like a slap to me. In slow motion it doesn't look bad, but that kind of behavior is uncalled for on any level. You don't put your hands on anybody in that kind of way in coaching. I wish one of these days one of the parents would do the same to him.

3. PastorSBC1303

He lifted the kids chin so he would look in his eyes, it was not even close to a slap.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I think it's much talk about nothing and is getting some press because it's Knight.

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

You know, it's hard to be sympathetic to stuff like that when i had high school football coaches who would grab our face mask, pull it to their face and yell at us with a mouth full of Levi Garret...ah, the good old days! :laugh:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It was hardly a "lift"...it looked like a slap to me.

7. PastorSBC1303

Well web, we will have to agree to disagree here. I watched it several times and did not even come close to a slap. I think it is pretty ridiculous and agree with ccr we are only hearing about it because it is Knight.

8. PastorSBC1303

Also, the Texas Tech AD along with the kids parents found nothing wrong in what Knight did as well. That should end all the talk.

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Agree that it is only a story because of Knight's somewhat colored past. It is also a story because we live in pansy, limp-wristed society. I can think of 3 or 4 times growing up that a teacher or coach got "physical" with me because I was a being a brat or some other sinful thing. None of them were out of bounds. These all happened in the early-to-mid 80's. If they happened today, I would probably be a rich man with all the lawsuit money I would have gained. We live in a pansy society raising [mostly] pansy kids.

As for Knight, sometimes I've hated him, other times I've admired him. The older I get, the more I admire him. He's done much more good than bad for college basketball and his student-athletes (emphasis on student, which is almost a thing of the past, but not with him).

10. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Bobby Knight is a bully big mouthed coward

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb5dScAa1yM

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/saraceno/2006-11-14-knight_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

snippet:You might consider what Knight did to be a tough-love tap, but watch the video. Prince sits on the bench trying to work his jaw.

He is in no league with Dean Smith...Texas Tech sold their soul to get this creep...because it is win baby win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OXgAK_rZU the slap

what really is worse is the evil anger he demonstrates before he loses it...it is written a kind word turns away wrath.
    the whitewash of what they are reporting he said is again not based on reality.

11. Inadequate in Myself

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The Michigan coach Carr through a much bigger fit in an interview and nothing was said or reported as far as I can tell.

Wetzel's column comparing the two is good:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=dw-espn111406&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This was hardly anything more than making certain the kid was paying attention.