1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Body Weight & Church Service

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MRCoon, Mar 23, 2006.

1. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Tater,

1Cor 9:27 was one of my favorite verses for a long time --

MKJV - "I buffet my body..."

LITV - "I buffet my body..."

ASV - "I buffet my body..."

Then someone told me that the T had a hard sound at the end as in buff-ett. I was so disappointed. I had grown quite fond of using this verse as a reason to buff-ay my body -- at every opportunity at any kind of buff-ay I could find. Shoney's, Morrisons, Pizza Hut, etc, etc, etc...

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Part of the problem for us overweight folks is that we picked the wrong parents.

I admit that I'm envious of folks who inherited the metabolism of a hummingbird, and an appetite to match.

I have the appetite.

Tom B.

3. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Not a bad idea to check with your doctor about any unexplained weight loss or weight gain.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Part of our Baptist heritage has always surrounded eating.

5. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing wrong with my body weight.

I'm at my ideal weight...if I was 9 Feet tall.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

So much of this surrounds balance in our lives. Dr. Gary Chapman says there are five areas health that we need to keep in check -- Physical, Spritual, Emotional, Mental, Relationships -- and when one of those is receiving more/less attention, then we are out of balance. I've decided from talking to oodles of people (my own personal poll) that most of us can do 3 or 4 with out a lot of difficulty. To do all 5 though is VERY difficult.

The thing with weight is that it's so out in front of everyone. I've had my own personal battle with weight -- well, it wasn't always a battle -- the weight had conquered me. Now it's an ongoing battle, one that with God's help, I don't intend to surrender again.

7. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

My wife says I should get into shape. I am in shape! Round IS a shape...

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

At 6'9", I have a little bit of room to play with on weight, but I would like to get back down to 300 pounds.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Dang, are you the tallest person on the board [​IMG]

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a horrible metabolism and had been overweight my entire life from the get-go. When I learned how to eat right, I lost 40 pounds and for the first time in my life I don't think of my self as overweight (5'8" at 155lbs). Even though I get plenty of exercise every Friday (three hours of non-stop volleyball and/or basketball), I still have to micromanage everything I eat and how much. I can easily and quickly gain weight even by eating "normally" and never really feeling full and eating what I consider healthy. If I don't weigh myself every week, my weight could fluxuate dramatically. I am just one of those people who is cursed with a pitiful metabolism that can't be helped very much.

But, I would like to encourage anyone here who is like I that if you can walk on your own and you can eat on your own, there is a good chance that you can lose weight if you put your mind to it. I call it the bathroom scale diet. Just weigh yourself religiously and micromanage your diet by reading the nutrition facts on everything and count calories and grams. Forget the fast food (we're talking like 1000 calories for a little meal here!), and avoid the soda (200-220 calories per can!).

Learn how to cook delicious and healthy meals with vegetables and small pieces of meat and rely on sauces and spices for flavor. Learn to eat a little bit here and there and avoid large meals. Your metabolism can get a boost if it is given just enough food at a consistent rate to keep it running without getting bogged down with too much here and not enough there. I make a fried rice dish using jasmine rice, mixed vegetables, small chicken pieces and various sauces and spices, such as adobo, garlic, and oregano, fried in rice vinegar and teriyaki. My friends love it. It costs next to nothing, and it's healthy.

You cannot lose weight overnight, but in a month you will notice the difference.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Dang, are you the tallest person on the board [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]I figured it out once: One out of every 32,000 (approx) people are taller than I am. That means that statistically I should be one of the 18.2 tallest people in the state.

12. Seth&Mattsmom

Seth&Mattsmom New Member

Not a bad idea to check with your doctor about any unexplained weight loss or weight gain. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks, Petrel, I DID go to my doctor because I am hypothyroid and was supposing my meds needed fixing. He totally made me feel like a liar and told me that we all slow down as we get older. I was 33 last summer. Gotta love HMO.

13. samarelda

samarelda New Member

[/qb][/QUOTE]Not a bad idea to check with your doctor about any unexplained weight loss or weight gain. [/QB][/QUOTE]

This is off topic, but the above idea is really a good one. Thyroid disease seems so simple, but is very complicated. It can be fatal and affects every organ in your body, brain, heart, can make your hair fall our etc. I have hardly ever been a doctor in my life and by the time I found out about my thyroid not functioning properly I was having major problems. One of a set of twins I was carrying died, my heart was beating all wacky, very low blood pressure, wheat allergy, hives, depression, fat, no energy at all. I would get through the day, fall into bed at night and wake up feeling like I never slept at all. Worst of all was the foggy-headed dementia. My husband thought I was losing my mind. I have read that 30-35% of all people seeing a psychiatrist have an untreate or inadequately treated thyroid problem of some sort. So also, if you are having depression problems, please ask your doctor to run a thyroid test. Even then some cases do not show up through a blood test unless it is really severe. During this time in my life I could do nothing spiritually except just let the Lord love me. Those years seem like a blur and I remember little about them. The Lord helped me so much. Don't know how I taught my kids anything, but the Lord took over and did what I couldn't. I know this is COMPLETELY off topic, (sorry MRCoon) but I really don't want anyone to go through my experience.