1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bonds Hits 756

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Aug 8, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

2. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

Thank God It's Over

Now hurry up, A-Rod.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

And Pujols after him...

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it very ironic that people would now root for ARod. :)

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Only Barry Bonds can make MLB fans cheer for a member of the "Evil Empire"...how great is that!
    Personally, i'm glad he hit it and it's over and we can move on. I didn't care for Bonds as a ball player when he was with the Pirates and came out wearing that cross ear ring...and i don't care for him as a player now. The record is tarnished at best, and i'm also behind ARod now.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

No, you aren't. I just hope whoever breaks it again does so on a team from the East Coast. All this lost sleep from watching the Giants is catching up to me :laugh:

A-Rod. 500 HRs at age 32. Totally impressive. Can he stay healthy enough for another 275-300 homers? Or more? Who knows when Barry will hang it up or be forced to hang it up.

7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think Bonds is done after this year. He coveted the record and got it. Now his legal troubles will begin to engulf him. He'll hit maybe 5-10 more for the season and that's where the record will stand for now.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think Bonds will go one more year and then hang it up.

I think ARod has a great shot of breaking it again, I would love to see him in a Cub uniform to do it.

9. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Bond hits 756

Sorry, I guess I for one will never recognize his last 100 or so homers because of all the steroid abuse. Aaron and Ruth did it the hard old fashioned way. You cannot compete with steroids...Period!

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stayed up too and hated myself for doing it. But I watched when Aaron hit his 715.

Speaking of Aaron, that was a classy move on his part to tape a message to be played. He can say what he wants to say and not have to take questions about it afterward. To me Aaron had the record yesterday and still has it today.

Every age has the argument about why the record is not clean. "Maris isn't the real home run king because he did it in more games" "Ruth was playing in the segregated era." But this steroid stuff is far different. If anything Ruth hurt his home run totals by the alcohol he consumed. Can you imagine if he had stayed in shape? :applause:

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Classy, but scripted and PR all the way. That statement couldn't have been more stilted if he'd been a captured soldier on Al Jezeera. Still, probably the best move. At least it was better than Selig's statement at the game....wait...there wasn't one. :laugh:
    Interesting point.

12. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Aaron's statement was an obvious PR move...but it was one that was needed. All records are questioned when compared with the different baseball eras and circumstance. MLB is in desparate need of a makeover when it comes to positive publicity.

Hopefully, someone that there is no doubt is steroid free breaks Bonds record one day, and Bonds will have as much class as Aaron when it happens.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed on all counts. I don't think Bonds will have that class, though.

14. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Guess we'll just have to put him on our prayer list!! Enough prayer can change anyone's heart :godisgood:

15. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's going to be some cheers and jeers
    With him hitting the HR record
    As I wonder how Hank Aaron is feeling!

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Hey, neighbor! Seymour is just down the road from me.

17. Cutter

Cutter New Member

18. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Why all this talk about steroids, isn't that the common thing everyone picks on Barry for? Why no mention of the HUGE stinking elbow "brace" he wears which probably contributed to about 75 to 100 homeruns. There was a study done by a batting coach who studied hours of tape on Bonds swing and form. Apparently the "brace" assisted more than it protected.

1. Gave him an unfair advantage in the box, allowing the pitchers to stay outside and not challenge him on the inside.
    2. If he got an inside pitch the brace enabled him to turn on the ball much quicker.
    3. The "brace" kept his swinging motion perfect, never losing his swing because it kept him in correct form with each swing.
    4. If the brace isn't a factor, then why did he perform so poorly in every HR Derby he was ever in.

The "brace" helped a lot

I wish Griffey Jr. would have stayed healthy his entire career, you would have been saying AROD WHO??? He has the sweetest swing in the game

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Because adding a piece of equipment like an elbow brace isn't cheating. Doing steroids is cheating. I challenge the notion that using an elbow brace contributed 75 to 100 of his homeruns.

Doing steroids helped much more than the brace did. If the brace helped that much, I would expect to see everybody using it.

I wish Griff had stayed healthy also. However, he wouldn't blot out ARod. Rather, the debate would be about who the better player is/was.

20. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Griffey's a stud!!! Not a big fan of AROD, but I am pulling for him to knock Bonds out.

The brace aids in his performance, I am trying to get the information from the Scott Wilder Show, he read the article two days ago and I can't find a link on his website for it.