Book Aims to Teach Bible in School, Avoid Legal Woes

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by LaymansTermsPlease, Sep 23, 2005.

1. LaymansTermsPlease

LaymansTermsPlease
    Expand Collapse

Anyone know anything about this new textbook?

Can it really meet all legal requirements and not compromise, belittle, or question the authenticity of scripture?

I hope it can do more good than harm.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170166,00.html

2. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly
    Expand Collapse

When I went to public High School, in our English classes we always did a particular type of literature each report period. One fiction, one biography, one Shakespere, and one Bible. The Bible sections were always taught as Bible-as-literature, and provided the class with those oft-alluded-to things that you find in other literature, so you could understand them better. To understand Shakespere, for instance, you need to know the Bible, or at least the events described in it, as well as Greek and Roman mythology. Learning what the Bible said in this manner never caused a problem with anyone that I remember.

3. Grimlock Prime

Grimlock Prime
    Expand Collapse

The Bible SHOULD be taught as literature in public schools. It's nearly impossible to completely understand the great works of Western literture or even the writings of our American Founding Fathers without the Bible as a referance point. The Bible has had more impact on every aspect of Westernm culture than literally anything else. To completely ignore that fact is to actively invite ignorance in America's youth.