1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book Club

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Deacon, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever had a "Book Club" at your church?

I'm toying with the idea of offering a book selection, printing a guide with pointed questions and sitting down with a group of interested readers over lunch one Sunday afternoon for lunch to discuss the book.

Maybe doing it twice a year.

Has it been done? Would it work?

Any ideas to add?

Any books that you think would draw a crowd?

Rob

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have been in different churches that have had "book Clubs" as small groups that meet as often as they want, weekly, monthly, whatever. They usually meet over lunch or dinner during the week. Or in the afternoon.

Books? Wide open area.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In the mentoring groups I lead during the week we do book studies. They are great ways to have an organized discussion based around a good curriculum. Basically we do one chapter a week. If people miss they know where we can pick up.

Two examples I have: for a men's group I lead we just started a book centered discussion we are using the book Every Man God's Man and in a more theologically centered group (that is blended) we are using essays from CS Lewis' God in Dock to have a conversation about the basis of Christianity in the face of criticisms.

I love book oriented groups but they are finicky things. If you get one or two people that are vocally not interested in the topic it'll kill the group. But if you have a good mix of people, a good facilitator, and you've got a big win.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Book Studies are a whole different segment. I know a number of churches who do book studies, a chapter a week........Many classes......