1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book for unbeliever?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Marcia, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I wasn't sure where to pose this question on the BB, but finally decided this might be the best place.

I've been emailing for about 6 or 7 yrs. with a young man in Ireland who is not a believer and has been very much into psychics, astrology, dreams, ghosts, Deepak Chopra, etc., etc. By God's grace, this young man has been gradually turning away from all this over the last few years , and he even bought 2 Bibles after I kept urging him to read the Bible. He now seems to be seeking more earnestly and is asking me if I know of a good book about Jesus. The fact that he has gone to a bookstore to look for such a book is a major turning point, imo.

He says this:
    "...maybe you could recommend some books for me, maybe something about what Jesus taught and how to live my life by jesus-s teachings, or understanding human nature and why we sin."

Very important - even though he is 27, he seems to have the mind of someone younger. So I need a recommendation for something pretty basic (not academic, please), but not childish (or he will be insulted, I'm sure). I know he has self-worth issues and I think he has some emotional/social interaction issues as well. His mother died when he was 11 or 12 and his father is very abusive. He lives on his own, but is very scarred from the past. I am praising God that he is asking me about such a book.

Keep in mind he needs to be able to get this in Ireland. I assume he could order from the Amazon UK site. He needs something that gives the gospel but also tells about Jesus. It should not be too long. If it's really terrific, I could buy it for him and send it to him.

Please do not recommend websites or things like that. He does not always have access to a computer. And since he's asking for a book, that's what I think would work best.

Any ideas? Thanks for suggestions.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all , I would suggest that he obtain a good and understandable Bible translation . I would tell him to go with either the NLT2 , or the NIrV ( although with the latter it advertises itself as ideal for those at a third grade reading level ) .

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

He already has 2 Bibles and has read through parts of the Bible. The type of translations available to him at the bookstore in his town or nearby are very limited. I don't think the ones you mention above are available at all.

Since he has 2 Bibles and is looking for a book, please recommend a book!

Someone told me it should More Than a Carpenter. What do you think?

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another book by the same author is good -- " Evidence That Demands a Verdict " . Or he could get its sequel . That's an excellent source of encouragemnt to the faith of a new Christian .

5. GospelExplained.com

GospelExplained.com New Member

A good gospel presentation covering sin, repentence ect is at
    explorechristianity.com
    Free to view online.
    Uses flash to make it interesting.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She said he doesn't usually have an opportunity to use the internet . She wants book title suggestions .

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I would think anything by Josh McDowell would be good.

8. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Hi Marcia,

Try "Will The Real Jesus Please Stand Up" by John Blanchard. It is available from Amazon's Uk site

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Will-Real-J...=sr_1_2/026-6449751-4693235?ie=UTF8&s=gateway

One recommendation on the cover reads "The finest book I have ever read explaining who Jesus really is. Carefully reasoned, rooted in the Bible and written in a popular easy-to read style, this book will prove thrilling for the Christaina anf very convincing to the sceptic or unbeliever."

John Blanchard is a well known apologetical speaker throughout the UK and Ireland.

BTW maybe you could refer him to C4K in Kildare.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks, Rippon, but please read the OP. This is not a believer! He's still somewhat stuck into his New Age thinking and interests but is showing more interest in learning about Jesus. After 7 yrs. or so of emails, this is a huge step! Of course, I and many prayer partners have been praying steadily for him for years.

I found a book online by John Piper, 50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die, and just ordered it from Amazon Marketplace (cheap price). What I saw online looked good. I'll look at it and may send it to him.

I also found a Bible called The Journey (NIV) especially designed for seekers. Is anyone familiar with it? There was even a customer review on Amazon by a skeptic who said he liked it! I may order it and look at this, too. If it looks helpful, I'll send it even though he as 2 Bibles. This one has a lot of notes and explanations. I looked at some of it online.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far, thanks! :thumbsup: :wavey:

I'll check out "Will the Real Jesus Please Stand Up?" (I once did a talk called "Will the Real God Please Stand Up" comparing the gods of Mormonism, Islam, Hinduism, and the New Age with the Christian God).

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I don't know where he is in Ireland, but if there is anything I can do here in Kildare let me know.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks, C4K! :wavey:

He's in Sligo. Part of the address is Carrarore Co. Does that makes sense to you?

He's sent me 3 or 4 emails in the last few days asking about Jesus. He's asked before, but never this much in such a short time. I am praying that it is the HS working on him. He's very confused -- his thinking is not that clear, I'm not sure why. But I am convinced it is the Lord who has kept Sean emailing me all these years.

Please pray for him, C4K, and for me to have wisdom in what to say to him. I would appreciate that - thanks!

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

PM me if you would like. I have good Christian friends in a solid little church in Sligo. I would be happy to send you details in case you need them.

Prayed for him, and you, just now. The Irish culture is a unique one and knowing what to say and when to say it can be difficult.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm praying for this entire situation, I pray that Marcia can keep the fish on the line and perhaps C4K can send someone over with a net. I see these type things all the time and wonder how anyone can say there is no God. Praise his Holy Name.

Lord, right now we need thy presence in the hearts and minds of thine people. We pray you give your servant Marcia the wisdom and knowledge to allow thy will to be done. Remove self from her earthly vessel and feel her being with your divine spririt. Let help flow from every mountian and valley. We know it is no coincidense these lives fellowship together in cyber space. We are here for your purpose and are willing and obediant to your every command. Use C4K or who thy will use to seek and save that which is lost. Show us the way.

And if it be thy will, pour salvation and a right mind into this young man seeking thy ways. We know you can. So we ask it in the name of Jesus. AMEN.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks so much, C4K! I will wait until I hear from him again. He's very sporadic in emailing - sometimes emails me several times for a few days then nothing for a month or more. I think it's because he has computer problems.

I'll also be sending him a copy of my book (just out!! I'll make an announcement somewhere on the BB soon) since he asked for it, and the Piper book. Sean said that if I sent him my book, he would send me a book by Deepak Chopra that the has <groan>. He's also been reading other New Agers and I told him please don't read them! At least he tells me and asks me about things. He also listens to me.

His mother died when he was about 12 and his father was very abusive to him (beat him and called him names). So he's very scarred. He got away from home and lives in his own place now, but changes jobs frequently.

When he next emails me, I'll tell him I know someone in Ireland who has friends in his area and would he like to meet them. I'll tell him he can ask questions. He would not be receptive to a "hard sell" of the gospel but would be open, I think, to asking questions of someone very caring who would listen to him and try to answer the questions very gently. Then I'll PM you.

He's a musician and rather sensitive. Thanks again!

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

LeBuick, thanks so much for your encouraging words and prayers! :wavey:

Prayers are needed! C4K, thanks for your prayers as well! :thumbs:

16. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I would suggest Phillip Yancey's The Jesus I Never Knew. After that, Josh McDowell's combination of his Evidence that Demands a Verdict is in much more readable form in A Ready Defense.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A few of the books that my 8th graders had to read (I homeschool) are:

The Jesus I Never Knew by Yancey - (from the catalog - In his uniquely elegant and though provoking manner, Yancey seeks to cast aside all Christian cliches to rediscover who Jesus really was and why He came. The Jesus he finds is both more comforting and more terrifying than you may hae ever imagined)

More Than a Carpenter by McDowell (An 8 million copy best-selling book of evidences concerning Jesus' diety. His resurrection and his legitimate claim on a person's life. Written for a popular (non-Christian) audience, this book is a wonderful resource for Christians)

What if Jesus had Never Been Born by Kennedy/Newcombe (Wonderfully written, fascinating look at the positive impact of the Gospel down through the ages and into our world today. A necessary antidote to the negative views in today's society)

(all comments are from the Sonlight catalogue which is a homeschool curriculum)

Oh - what about "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel? That's a GREAT book!

Ann

18. FERRON BRIMSTONE

FERRON BRIMSTONE New Member

The book you choose depends more on where they are in their search.

"More Than a Carpenter" by Josh McDowell examines the evidences of who Jesus was. A very good book if he is not certain that Jesus is the Messiah.

"Follow Me" by John Macarthur examines the followers of Christ. It shows the reader that God can use anyone from any walk of life. Sometimes the one that seem the most useless in mans eyes can be the most useful to God.

"The Gospel According to Jesus" by John Macarthur answers questions about the Christian walk by looking at Jesus' own teaching about salvation, repentance, and true faith.

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read through this whole thread and it just makes me all excited to know that people from all over the world, who are really strangers to each other, can get excited about the potential salvation of another stranger. This is what being a christian is all about. Spreading the gospel. By any means at our disposal.

I'll don't have any book selections to advise, but I'll just be tickled to pray! :praying:

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Will be praying. I can assure you that my friends in Sligo are not "hard sellers" of the gospel. They have been working with the Irish for many years.

Just let me know - will pray again this morning.