1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book Of Eli

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by LaymansTermsPlease, Jan 22, 2010.

1. LaymansTermsPlease

Wow, just got back from the theater. Been waiting for this one.

Amazing...of course, I'm very partial to the post-apocalyptic setting, so as long as it didn't go completely off the rails, I knew I'd like it.

I actually had to wipe my eyes for a few minutes when he said the blessing before eating when he first meets the girl. When he reaches out and takes her hands across the tabletop and she has no clue what he's doing or what he's saying.

Very powerful. I'm pretty cynical and have little patience for the repetitious drivel and easily-guessed plots that hollywood usually churns out, and a movie hasn't moved me to tears in a long time.

Go figure, faith in the face of wretched circumstances and surrounded by people who had never heard The Word or even a prayer got the ole eyes to watering.

He is one bad defender of the faith too....master of the knife, gun, and brawl...plenty of action, very "Old Testament", lol.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been wondering about this movie. I am hoping to see it.

Thanks!

3. LaymansTermsPlease

Don't misunderstand now, plenty of violence, killing, implied/attempted rape, scads of foul language, etc. I don't remember any nudity at all, however. Eli himself is not perfect of course...why just like any one of us, or any OT saint. :(

The bible isn't G-Rated, so the movie was no worse to me than reading some of the horrible OT accounts of rapes, deceit, and revenge killings.

Ultimately, Eli is a man on a mission who stays true to it as best he can, has regrets and shortcomings like we all do, yet relies on God and praises/acknowledges it's His strength not his, etc.

I just didn't want anyone to think this movie was some Fireproof-like "self-censored to the point of being unrealistic" movie that only got an R rating because of the knives and guns. Some of the chars are genuinely bad, and unabashedly and grittily portrayed as such.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I understood that an R rating meant that there was more than a little violence and other issues.

5. LaymansTermsPlease

Cool. I just wanted to make sure as well that no one else reading this thread mistook my glowing review to mean that this was going to be like Fireproof
    or even like the A-Team/Wonder Woman/(70s-80s action tv series of choice) where mines and grenades blow up vehicles, RPGs soar into buildings, explosions blossom everywhere......and you see the faceless bad guys roll out of the fireball, unconscious, but alive and without even ketchup painted all over them for effect :BangHead:

6. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I saw the movie and liked it very much, except for the violence and language as you mentioned, but I knew that going in. I thought the comparison of Eli to the bad guy (Gary Oldman) was great. Wasn't it just like false teachers and preachers today to want to use the bible for their own gain. I will probably b the DVD to watch it through knowing he was blind from the beginning.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The movie was a promotion of the worldly disdain of religion, making it the cause of all the wars and fightings instead of their own lusts. In the final scene the newly printed King James Bible is placed beside the Torah and the Koran, in a vast collection of the humanities where it should be, as not superior to any other religious documents, and inferior to other humanistic literature.

There was a new twist on the ancient Greek element of the blind prophet.

The weapons of our warfare: Carnal.

Boring . . . boring . . . boring. A fella at the factory raved about it, so I checked it out. What a colossal waste of time and money.

A nice surprise ending though, the copy being written in Braille. Anyone else expect it to explode when opened?