1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book of Enoch mentioned by Jude

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Martin Luther, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Being cast to Tartarus is metaphorical language, just like "chains of darkness." And yes, since I believe Peter is talking about the fall of Satan from heaven and the others who followed him (and NOT some unbridled demon molestation of women bringing about the onslaught of the flood), I suggest that all of them are restricted to this terrestrial ball (in it, on it, around it), including Satan himself. I have considered all the other passages in the Bible regarding this interpretation and do not think any are inconsistent with it.

2. SummaScriptura

You certainly have some novel ideas and an innovative methodology!

3. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Not really. I think John Gill, Wayne Grudem and others have the same idea, but I haven't looked into it for about 15 years.

4. SummaScriptura

If those are your sources, then that would highlight the meaning of "novel" and "innovative" regarding your views. In the context of the two-millennia-old institution of the Church and its thinking, if it took 16 centuries for someone to come up with a Biblical understanding, that is by definition novel as well as innovative. Add to that the centuries of Biblical speculation which preceeded the Church age and I think you've got Biblical theories which could also be deemed "creative".