1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book of Jasher

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by JeffM, May 21, 2004.

1. JeffM

JeffM New Member

I recently came upon The Book of Jasher and I know it is referenced in the Bible so I decided to give it a read.

Interesting, but it seems to be just another version of the Book of Genesis.

The account of the Flood is more detailed, painting a more vivid account on how violent the event really was.

Anyway, I know the Book of Jasher is not Canon, but has anyone else read it? If so, your comments would be appreciated.

Also, are there any other books of the Bible that have been omitted over the centuries?

Yours in Christ,

Jeff

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read the "lost books of the Bible" and frankly can see on the surface why they were rejected!

BTW, most think this is NOT the book of Jasher referred to in Joshua/Samuel, but a later compilation given that name (as a type of legitimacy). Many books circulated in history were given names to make them look canonical - i.e., Gospel of Thomas, Wisdom of Solomon, etc.

3. JeffM

JeffM New Member

Thanks Bro. Bob,

You actually answered my next question of the authenticity of the Book of Jasher.

I remember reading what appeared to be the books of the childhood of Christ. I came across it in an old used bookstore. They were written just like scripture.

Funny how the Lord will lead you when you don't know it, but I immediately opened to a page where it said Jesus would strike his enemies dead out of anger as a child, and Mary would have to scold him and tell him to raise them back up again and then send them home. It also said parents were always angry at Jesus for this and forbade their kids to play with him!!

It was nothing short of hilarious and ridiculous and looking back, it was the Lords way of showing me this immediately.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's like the Book of Enoch. It was NOT written by the Enoch of the Bible, as it mentions a year of 365 1/4 days, and in both Scripture & worldwide secular history we see the year was only 360 days long 'way back when.

I believe the year became its present length when God caused the retrograde rotation of earth for Hezekiah.(Isaiah 38:8} (The method God used is a subject for discussion in another forum)