1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Book of Mormon Movie

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by DCK, Sep 2, 2003.

1. DCK

DCK New Member

Does anyone know anything about this? I recently saw a poster advertising it and was curious. I read parts of the Book of Mormon years ago, since I had some LDS co-workers at the time, and am wondering how it will translate to the big screen. I assume the filmmaker is also Mormon, although the project is not church-sponsored. Just curious.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

3. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Having viewed the trailer, it appears a replacement for Charleton Heston is rising. The lead character is ruggedly hansome.

The music is dynamic and majestic.

Too bad the historical evidence is not there to support the script!

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If it's a good movie, I'll probably go see it, and I'll probably enjoy it. If it's accurate to the B of M, then it will probably help me to understand the beliefs of my Mormon friends better.

It won't change my Christian beliefs, though.

5. mioque

mioque New Member

Those production photo's are toecurlingly bad.
    To be honest, this looks like a well intended very mediocre product.
    This reminds me somehow of a certain Jesus film based on the gospel according to Luke, that was seen by over 500.000.000 people.
    Every time I see a bit of that movie I feel sorry for every single cinemalover among those 500.000.000.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh, dear, I must agree. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the attempt at evangelism, but the movie was so cinematically bad that if I never see it again in my lifetime, it will be too soon. I've simply been afraid to admit that for fear of getting blasted on the board.

7. fossilman

fossilman New Member

If the movie is anything like the book, it's going to be a real snoozer. Having read it many times (in my former life as a mormon), I can't think of anything I'd rather not see.

8. dumbox1

dumbox1 Guest

I think it has the potential to rank right up there with that wonderful L. Ron Hubbard epic, Battlefield Earth.

Mark H.

9. MikeS

MikeS New Member

I just went to the website, and this movie is only the first, "Volume I." The FAQ talks of "several succeeding volumes."

10. dumbox1

dumbox1 Guest

Oddly enough, theater owners outside Utah don't seem to be rushing to show this particular piece of cinematographic art.

For that matter, even the number IN Utah seems on the low side -- but maybe there just aren't that many theaters there.

Mark H.

11. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

Hey, I kinda liked that Jesus movie.

12. Omega

Omega New Member

What kind of film would one classify this BOM movie as?

Educational...No
    Documentary ….No
    Drama….No
    Comedy….No
    Science Fiction….No
    Action & Adventure….No
    Fantasy….Maybe
    Cult classic….that seems to fit!!!! [​IMG]

Your friend Omega

13. dumbox1

dumbox1 Guest

Hmmm... it looks as if we'll be enjoying a whole new genre in the next few years -- "Cinema Mormon."

AP Story on more Mormon Movies

Perhaps I should invest in theater stocks -- I'm sure it'll be a box office bonanza comparable to "Star Wars."

Mark