1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Books for the Seeker with Questions

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Priscilla Ann, May 8, 2004.

1. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

What books would you recommend for a college student who was raised as a Christian, but now has doubts and questions about Jesus being the only way to God? This young man is a deep thinker, so simplistic, pat answers will not satisfy him.

He also has questions about the authority and accuracy of the Bible. Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Priscilla Ann

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The classic answer would be the Josh McDowell book(s) entitled "Evidence that Demands a Verdict". (They used to be in two volumes, but I think they've been combined into one.

Unfortunately, the Josh McDowell books are examples of a rationalistic approach to the Christian faith. They have their place, but they often have the effective of turning the gospel story into a philosophical system (a worldview) instead of setting forth Christ as the one who calls people to a "life more abundant".

I went through that phase in my first years of college and had my life transformed. While this sounds simplistic, I suggest getting him a translation of the Bible (perhaps a high-quality study Bible) that he can read easily and challenging him to read it cover to cover -- especially the New Testament gospels and following.

That experience of reading (and understanding) the scriptures put me in a better position to deal with the doubts I had.

3. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Baptist Believer:

Thanks for your response. The young person I mentioned is my son, and we had a really good discussion yesterday during the drive home from college. I was not surprised or offended that he had questions; in fact, I have read that this is common among college students. I just wish that I had better answers for him.

I will check out the Josh McDowell book.

Thanks again!

Priscilla Ann

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking back on my experience, it was a time where I had to deal with all of the inconsistencies and shallow understanding of my childhood faith and try to discover a faith that would make sense for an adult.

I discovered that my local church did an abysmally poor job of presenting the call of Christ on my life. It was only after I went through a time where I gave up everything I had ever been taught about the Christian faith and started over by reading the scriptures, that my life began being radically transformed by God.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions that you don’t want to ask publically. [​IMG]

5. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Baptist Believer:

Thank you! I may take you up on your offer. As my son and I were having this discussion, it occurred to me that my son is very much like I was when I was young. I had lots of questions and I wanted answers that made sense. It turned out to be a good thing, and I hope that it will be for him too. When someone asks questions, it means that they are thinking and eager to learn and grow.

Thanks again!

Priscilla Ann

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give a hearty "Amen" to McDowell. I've used his books for 25+ years with college students.

7. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Dr. Griffin:

I have Josh McDowell's book on order from Amazon.com. I can't wait to get a look at it. I am hoping that it will provide answers to some of the questions my son is asking. His words to me were, "Mom, I believe, but I have questions."

Please pray for both of us...that my son will have a heart receptive to truth, and that God will help me to speak in a loving, but truthful way.

God Bless!

Priscilla Ann

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Genesis Record by Henry Morris is great.

ICR publishes loads of great books on creation. I especially like their video on the eruption of Mt. Saint Helens.

You can contact them at http://www.icr.org/contact.html
    or 1-800-628-7640
    and have a catalog sent to you. I get their Acts and Facts monthly newsletter too. They have conferences throughout the year across the nation.

I have known college and high school students who begin to have doubts but when I start to present extrabiblical evideneces for our faith it is amazing what happens. They begin to start to share their faith with great confidence.

Some other books I recomend are Step by Step Through the OT, Step by Step through the NT by lifeway and How to Read the Bible For All Its Worth by Fee and Stuart. Two of those are workbooks.

They can be found at

http://www.lifewaystores.com/lwstore/product.asp?isbn=0767326199&mscssid=AHVHUHD0N0S29NJ03EXHL8N9B9UJAHB8

http://www.lifewaystores.com/lwstore/product.asp?ISBN=0805499466&mscssid=AHVHUHD0N0S29NJ03EXHL8N9B9UJAHB8

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product/149424355?item_no=46043&netp_id=305552&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW#curr

All of these should be able to be purchased or ordered through the local Bible bookstore.

The study books are 13 lessons each and will probably take about six to seven hours for each lesson.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Priscilla Ann asked:
    I would recommend How to Stay Christian In College by Dr. J. Budziszewski. This is a great book for teens going into college and college students. Also, The Case for Christ and The Case for Faith by Lee Strobel. Also, excellent online article by scholar Gary Habermas on why he believes the New Testament is reliable at Why I Believe the New Testament is Historically Reliable

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

11. CHatfield

CHatfield New Member

I would recommend C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity. It has been several years since I read it. But as I remember it stimulates thinking. A college student who can develop his/her own answers to these questions will have a broader faith base for the future.

I would also recommend Probe Ministries. Their web site is http://www.probe.org/. They specialize in helping high school and college students develop a Christian world view.

12. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Marcia:

Thank you for the additional suggestions. Actually I did order "How to Stay Christian In College" last year when my son was attending his freshman year...I just thought maybe we would need it at some point. Two days ago I found it and put it on his bed with a note.....I don't know if he has had a chance to look it over yet.

The reliability of the bible was another issue he had questions about, so we will pursue that as well.

"Mere Christianity" was one of the books that I read soon after my conversion. I think our church library has a copy.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and ideas. Please pray that my son will study with a heart and mind open to the work of the Holy Spirit.

Priscilla Ann