1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Books on baptist theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Psalm 95, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Two years ago I was saved and I became a baptist this fall.

I was raised a (not that active) Lutheran and even Swedish Baptists seems to have a Lutheran slant.

So, I am will use some of my Christmas money for literature to learn some north American conservative baptist theology. I hope you can give advice.

1. I need a study bible. I’ve got the Thompson (NKJV) and the NIV study bible, but want one more theological. I love the Thompson, but it will not give directions in theological issues which is good in a way and not as good in another way. So what the Thompson has given me is a quite good base in scriptures on various issues, but not a way to see if others has made the same conclusions. For close study of verses I use Swedish conservative translations, so I am most interested in notes and help sections.
    2. I need a book on theology with a baptist focus or a one used and liked by conservative Baptists in north America.
    3. Is there a baptist one or two volume commentary to the bible?

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came across an article by Carol Newsom [LINK] that expresses very well what I feel about study Bibles.
    You seem to WANT this in your Bible, ...to each his own.
    With that in mind, I'd suggest a Ryrie Study Bible [LINK], (with the FULL realization that I disagree with him on some points of theology.

If you are a serious student, I'd also suggest Erickson's, Christian Theology which is very good.

Most importantly, BEFORE going out and buying this stuff, check with your pastor to see if it's appropriate.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, my heritage is Swedish, (I'm really an american mutt, but my name's Swedish).

I attended a Swedish Covenant Church in Northbrook Il. for a few years after being saved.

Rob

4. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I like this book for the basics

What Baptists Believe by Herschel Hobbs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/080548101X/?tag=baptis04-20

[​IMG]

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I would suggest the John MacArthur Study Bible. It comes in NKJV and NASB. It is very detailed and very theological.

==Well there are several good books. If you are interested in a historical look at how Baptists have viewed the Bible I HIGHLY recommend "Baptists and the Bible" by L Rush Bush and Tom Nettles. General theological books are a dime a dozen. Some of my personal favorites are "Christian Theology" by Erickson, "Basic Theology" by Charles Ryrie, "An Introduction to The New Testament" by Carson, Moo, and Douglas, "Jesus and the Gospels" by Craig Blomberg, "From Pentecost to Patmos" by Craig Blomberg. All of these are used by Baptist preachers and Baptist seminaries. There are others but that is good overview. There are some differences between them theologically, I don't always agree with each of them, but that does not take away from the quality of the works.

Historically you should check out "The Sacred Desk" which is edited by Ergun and Emir Caner. This book is a collection of sermons given by all of the presidents of the Southern Baptist Convention. Another work, by the same two authors, is "The Sacred Trust" which looks at the life of each of the Southern Baptist presidents.

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

You might want to start out a little slower. If that is the case try "The Great Doctrines of the Bible" by Evans and" Elemental Theology" by Emery Bancroft. Perhaps "Major Bible Themes" by Chafer and Walvoord would be good.
    Perhaps a Scofield lll Study Bible Which can be found in ESV,KJV,NKJV,NASB,and NIV. Also the Ryrie is good and comes in several translations.

In any case go to CBD "Christian Book Distributers" and get your books at a discounted price.

:godisgood:

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'd suggest running this same question by your pastor or other spiritual leaders in your Church. We'd hate to see you loose faith or fall from the fold because you feel there are conflicts with the information being presented either in books or in your study classes.

One roblem I find, some people take the study portions of Bibles as scripture. Almost like the Gospel according to Schofield or the Gospel according to Thompson. Those are all study guides and one man's view which may or may not agree with your belief or those being tought in your local studies. I'm not implying either are right or wrong, just something to be mindful of.

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Good observation LeBuick. Amen!:godisgood:

9. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Thanks for your answers

I am thankful your care for me being in touch with pastor and congregation concerning doctrine, it is very important. I have a dialogue with my pastor so that we agree on what he sees as the essentials of theology and of course sermons and bible studies in church is a important input to my studies. But, I understand the problem, our congregation is a shared one and has connections to both the Swedish missionary covenant church and to the Swedish Baptists. This means that not all members adhere to credo baptism and that some are quite close to the semi-catholic Swedish state church (Lutheran in name). For example, in prayer meetings sometimes you change subject after who is attending. So I think I need to be strong in bible studies and able to defend my views. Many in the congregation is good evangelicals and some are good Baptists. My pastor encourages me to study the bible, Swedish and American evangelical literature and baptist doctrine, I think he is happy that a quite new member has an interest in doctrine. I think I may one day be responsible to the Lord for the result of bible studies (and a lot of other things).

After reading your answer I’ve ordered the Ryrie in NASB, Erickson’s Christian Theology and the Archeological study bible. I already have Hobbs's book What Baptists Believe (it is short but interesting, I like it). The book Baptists and the Bible (Bush/Nettles) I really want, but it was not available at my online bookstore today.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

If I might interject this one little thing, don't defend your views. Defend the faith because views change... My views on things have changed greatly from just this board, schools, books and I remember one Pastor saying he is up to 4 points of Calvinism. Views will change but that's all right, it is part of the perfecting process...

God Bless your walk with His only Begotten Son... :praying:

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One book that I refer to often is Systematic Theology by Grudem. It's an easy read (hey, I'll read it before bed!) so it's not overly "heady" but it's thorough and I think a solid text. It's not "baptist" per-se but it's Biblical.

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

John S. Hammett has an excellent book called Biblical Foundations for Baptist Churches.

It will give a good overview of Baptist polity and practice.

13. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll pass over this, other than to say that I prefer the study notes out of the Bible, so I can't make a recommendation here.
    I don't think anyone has mentioned J. L. Dagg's Manual of Theology, which can be seen at http://www.founders.org/library/dagg_vol1/all.html, and A Treatise on Church Order, which can be viewed online at http://www.founders.org/library/dagg_vol2/all.html. It can also still be purchased from Reformation Heritage books and perhaps Gano Books.
    http://www.heritagebooks.org/
    IMO, this remains one of the best available.
    A Baptist commentary on the entire Bible is also available online at http://www.freegrace.net/gill/ Gill is conservative and a Baptist, but many object to his stringent views of grace. A good commentary, nevertheless, in my opinion.

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I'll start at the bottom and work up. :) ( you must know me in order to smile)

A very clear, easy to read book on doctrines from a mild-Calvinist Baptist slant is
    "Practical Christian Theology"
    by Floyd H Barackman (Published by Revell)

Theologians of the Baptist Tradition
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0805417729/?tag=baptis04-20

The Baptists (Vol. 1)
    "Key People Involved in Forming a Baptist Identity"
    order here >>> http://www.founders.org/fpress/the_baptists.html

John Gill / Particular Baptist / high Calvin
    "John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible"

Abstract of Systematic Theology
    by James P. Boyce...is a higher Calvinism book from a Baptist.

ADDED....
    I forgot to post a study Bible.

I do not have this, but it seems to be the one to get. Its what "everyone is talking about". :)

The Reformation Study Bible..formerly called
    "The New Geneva Study Bible" ESV

This is on my list to buy soon.

#14 Jarthur001, Dec 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006