1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Books on English Bible history

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Logos1560, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the last few years, several new books about the history of our English Bible have been published. Have any here read any of them?

Bobrick, Benson. WIDE AS THE WATERS: THE STORY
    OF THE ENGLISH BIBLE AND THE REVOLUTION IT INSPIRED. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2001.

Daniell, David. THE BIBLE IN ENGLISH: ITS HISTORY AND INFLUENCE. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2003.

McGrath, Alister. IN THE BEGINNING: THE STORY OF THE KING JAMES BIBLE AND HOW IT CHANGED A NATION, A LANGUAGE, AND A CULTURE. New York: Doubleday, 2001.

Nicolson, Adam. GOD'S SECRETARIES: THE MAKING OF THE KING JAMES BIBLE. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 2003.

Norton, David. A TEXTUAL HISTORY OF THE KING JAMES BIBLE. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2005.

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have the Alister McGrath book. What I have read so far seems good.

3. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read all five of these books, and all
    five have some interesting information. The most detailed and longest is the one by David Daniell with around 900 pages. Daniell's is perhaps my overall favorite of the five with the one by McGrath perhaps second.

Norton's book is mainly limited to the KJV
    and does not have a history of the earlier English Bibles leading up to the KJV. Norton's
    book is mainly based on the research that leads
    up to Norton's editing of a new 2005 edition of
    the KJV: the NEW CAMBRIDGE PARAGRAPH BIBLE. Much of Norton's book is appendixes, listing differences between different editions of the KJV.

4. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

sorry ooops

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read the McGrath book. In fact, somewhere in the archives is a review of it. As they say, two thumbs up\five stars.

6. natters

natters New Member

I am half-way through both Nicolson's and McGrath's. They really give fantastic insight into the political and church issues at the time. Fascinating stuff.

An older yet excellent book that deals with English Bible history is "A General View of the History of the English Bible" by B.F. Westcott.

7. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist