1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Books that do not belong in the Bible?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by npetreley, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Out of curiosity, how long has it taken you to preach it all the way through?
    Ed

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years! I have been preaching through the Psalms in our evening service for almost 4 years, and am only in Psalm 136.

I just completed preaching through Matthew this past Sunday morning and that took me over 1 year.

The way I figure it I will take about 12 years to preach through every verse of every book. And that is only if I avoid rabbit trails. [​IMG]

3. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

I dont think it is a travesty to have not preached over certain books of the bible, so long as one is following the leading of the Holy Spirit for the topic of his sermons.

However, in private reading, I feel it is very important. I have just recently resolved to read the few parts of the OT that I dont think I have ever read.

If my pastor tells me in good faith that he hasn't been lead to preach over the "he begats", then I will take him at his word.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be proficient, having been thoroughly equipped for every good work."

"Preach the word."

"For I did not draw back from declaring to you all the counsel of God."

5. DesiderioDomini

"Judge not, lest ye be judged"

I think I read that too........but I'm sure that only pertains to mere mortals

6. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Well, SOME churches, but not many Baptist ones, use the lectionaries that work through a three-year cycle of readings. But even those do not get the entire Bible, nor do they touch on some of the minor prophets, etc. I guess you could say that most churches of the mainline Protestant and Catholic use the lectionary approach, and its proponents do argue that one of its values is that the preacher is forced to get off his favorite passages and deal with other material. I just never wanted to be that bound to someone else's plan; I preferred my own planning. Clearly I preferred the Pauline epistles, the Gospels, the Psalms, Acts, and the prophets Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Hosea to other writings. But really, in the end, those books I had never used were those which were largely imprecatory in nature -- e.g. Nahum, Zephaniah, etc. I did preach out of every New Testament book, but of course some much more than others.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I can't think of a single book of the 66 that I would want to see out of the Bible. I have found something valuable and meaningful in all of them -- they are all equally God's word. Even the "begats" are important because they show God's attention to detail, and intersting things like Rahab being in the line of Jesus.

What Luther may have thought about James or Revelation has zero effect on my own views of the Bible.

8. DesiderioDomini

his personal struggles aside, I think the main differnce between Luther and us is he was much more honest.

We all doubt, maybe not in the same way, maybe not outloud or on paper, but every time we sin, we are exchanging God for something lesser.

If we believed his word at the time, we wouldnt do that.

In this way, I have prolly taken most of the bible out.

9. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

Keep Studying youll need it: So pack a lunch. LOL [​IMG]

10. ChristineES

ChristineES New Member

Whenever I read Song of Solomon (Song of Songs) I always wonder about it. What does it signify? Some say it is about the "Bride of Christ" (Christians).
    Father Mulcahy on MASH told a soldier reading it "Solomon had a lot to sing about". I don't think it should be omitted, though. There has to be a reason why it is there.

11. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Regarding just the OT canon, Justin Martyr noted that the Church had a different Old Testament than that of the Jews. Today's Protestant Church presumably has the same Old Testament the Jews had, while the Roman Catholic Church has one presumably more like the one Justin Martyr mentioned, including the books generally included in the Septuagint.

Justin Martyr also accused the Jews of mutilating the Old Testament. What is interesting is that one of his accusations of mutilation regards the text of Ps. 96:10, where he claimed the original said that "the LORD reigns from the tree," i.e., from the cross, but interestingly this reading cannot be found in any Hebrew or Greek copies today.

So are we right in following the traditional Hebrew Old Testament Canon? If the early church followed an Old Testament Canon that included the 7 deuterocanonical books generally included in the Septuagint, were they wrong? And what about the alleged factual errors in some of the deuterocanonical books? It is interesting that these deuterocanonical books were interlaced into parts of the OT Canon, not just appended to the traditionally received books.

In NT Greek MSS that contain the pseudepigrapha, the pseudepigraphal books are generally not interposed within the 27-book Canon which we refer to today, but rather simply appended after Revelation, indicating the books' secondary nature of importance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.