1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"born again" revisited

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Isaiah40:28, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actaully brother, it isn't a 'Sticky-Wicket' at all because it does take you assessment into account. (I haven't heard 'sticky-wicket' since I was teenager :laugh: )

Without God, man does not even know he is in need of salvation. Ergo, he does not even know the way of it (Rom 3:17) with man left to himself. This is why God must come to man first to reveal truth that man has not known. And this grace is to all or everyone (Rom 3:22) and or also to all who believe, for there is no difference. No difference of what? The grace given in Christ Jesus.

Thus your part about man not seeking God in context is refering to all mankind, both Jews and non-Jews being all under sin (Rom 3:9) and so seperated from God doing our own thing apart from God. Therefore unless God intervene and seek man first, man will continue under sin and thus condemnation unto damnation.

So my point about man believing to become born-again(regenerate/saved) is based entirely on the fact that man does not seek after God of his own and that is why God must first come to man.

Hope it makes some sense. It is good to hear from you again, did you take some time away from the board or were you just in other areas?

#41 Allan, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008
  2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Is it possible to actually say 'what I say' rather than re-interpret into your own personal mess. You know better than anyone here that is not my argument because my posting in your other thread to you refutes this here:
    First, who said anything about 'a measure of grace'? It is grace pure and simple, for all (Rom 3:22).
    With the exception of your 'measure' statement, according to scripture that is correct. Man must believe in order to be saved, correct or not?
    Yes, that is what scripture declares.

Sounds like your making things up.

You have added to and twisted what I said to make this last peice and I am disappointed at it. You know better and you most definately know that is not my position.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Incorrect. Here is the post I gave to you in responce to 'pushing me' :rolleyes:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1186378&postcount=169
    and here as well:
    The truth remaining is this: it is you who can't prove man doesn't have the capcity to believe. There is nothing in scripture that states it is a different KIND of faith than the same faith all other men have. As I said if man has even a common faith, in regenerating man (in your view) that would make mans faith now able to receive Christ because his faith (in you view) is bound by his nature - ergo regenerated man would not need faith from God but simply would follow his natural inclination to believe. Scripture DOES however state there is a different object in which to place our faith. Scripture never ONCE states that man can't believe, but repetedly, over and over, states for man TO believe, to come, to repent. Therefore, in light of the many things I have already brought forth, it is you who who has the biblical obsticles to overcome not me - at least on this particular point.

#43 Allan, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008
  4. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Well boys,
    You can have the last word as life here has sped up again.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

You enjoy you family Isaiah, who really cares about some ol' BB Thread when compared to our families and 'real' life. God bless you sister and your family richly in and for His glory

6. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey there Allan!

Yea, it does make sense. I'm going to try to re-read this and digest it some more. At first glance, I don't think I disagree with anything with the possible exception of "All or Everyone." And, I think there must be a difference between the grace given to the believer and unbeliever. Let me ponder that for tomorrow or Friday.

I think most Calvinists and Arminians would agree that God, through the Holy Spirit, must show man the need for salvation (as one of my professors said, "Get 'em lost, before you get 'em found).

I hope all is well in South Dakota and with you and your family.

As for me, I am participating in a new project at work and that has me working an extra 18 + hours/week. So, I'm almost putting in full time hours (on top of my church gig and looking for a full-time church position). So, the time for posting has been less than usual and I've been reading a great book Recalling the Hope of Glory by Allen Ross. I've been taking my time, devouring the book. I highly recommend it! It is a book about Biblical worship.

It's 12:30 AM where I am (in the Derby City) and I've been up since 6, and that with only 4 hours of sleep. I'm playing Mr. Mom to my little 6-month-old tomorrow (I really! enjoy that), so I must catch some zzzzzzzz's.

No more miles before I sleep.

Many Blessings,

The Archangel

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I know you weren't talking to me but :), Allan is the most Calvinistic non-Cal on the BB. He makes a lot of sense. I have learned much from him.
    Enjoy your day with your baby. Six months is such a good age. My baby is almost 23 and I would love to go back to those days!

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Arminian/Wesleyan definition of prevenient grace is very, very, similar to a description of the Calvinistic doctrine of irresistable grace. In fact, if you took the definition of IG and put "but yet is resistable by stubborn people" at the end of it, you would have the definition of PG.

That's why Allan often seems so close to being a Calvy, because he believes, as Calv's do, that God enables man to believe (YET, say armin'n, man retains resistability).

Now Allen, I don't intend to offend you here, but I recently heard someone say that "the best lie is the one that is closest to the truth". And that's the way PG is. It's very close. But under PG man is just as sovereign as he is under Pelagius, for he alone is the final arbitrar of his own salvation.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Funny, I hear the same thing about Calvinism :)

So you don't 'intend to offend' but you state my view is equal to that Pelagus which is a known heresy conteneded vehemently against by both the A and the C??

Editted out... There is no need to even continue with a responce to such a post. JD you really disappoint me sometimes.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Man cannot be sovereign because you're not saved until God says you are, no matter what your "theology" is. :)

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

Well put Amy, very well put :)

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

There are many. How is it that Noah built the ark? Abram left Ur? Moses went before Pharoah?

Now what I don't see YOU mention is that behind the consideration of EVERY command is MOTIVATION -- what's my motivation? Y'all know of only one -- self. If so, the DEATH of self is ALWAYS a motivation (Heb 2:15). And there is yet another -- that it is actually, truly GOD talking to you.

But let me just add, NO ONE in the Old Testament was then nor is yet "regenerated" (Mt 19:28) so even salvation would have been impossible for them! Were they, then, not saved?

The simple truth is that the "total inability" model is false doctrine.

skypair

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

Like he said, you must make another gospel or dispensation to get them into heaven. What is it if there is such? Or do they go to hell if they die?

So here again, since there is no other operative gospel for this time, "total depravity"/"total inability" are false doctrine or either they all go to hell.

skypair

#53 skypair, Mar 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2008
  14. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well that's easy! 1Cor 2:6 tells us that those who are saved ARE perfect! There's only one way to be perfect and that is in Christ. Jesus is commanding them to believe on Him and be saved (but He's wasting His brreath, right? 'Cause they're not even regenerated yet, are they?).

skypair

#54 skypair, Mar 6, 2008
  15. skypair

skypair Active Member

16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man doesn't choose God to save them. Man can only choose to rebel against God. Somehow some feel this is the same thing as choosing God by not choosing to rebel. Actually it is no choice at all. God is the only one who chooses to draw us. God is the one who calls us. He is the one who convicts us of our sins and even enlightens us to the fact that we have sinned. He is the one who convinces us of the truth of Him Self through a preacher or His Word. Though it is necessary that we believe, our belief doesn't save us. You might ask "how are we saved then?" We are saved by the Faith of Jesus Christ. Our belief in Christ is only the hope that we might be saved by the faith of Jesus Christ. Gal 2:16
    How do we know we are saved then? Our knowing all begins with a thirst for the word of God,("our desire to know more"). I knew I was saved when I couldn't get enough of God's word. I knew when I had acquired a burning desire in my heart to tell everyone I know about just how wonderful it is to have the God of the universe, choose me!. A wicked sinful, person not worthy to be dirt. He chose even me. He changed me, even the way I think. I submitted my will to His after I was convicted and convinced. I surrendered when I choose not to rebel any longer.
    My Choice was not to be saved but to stop my rebellion.
    MB

17. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Thank you for your prayers bro. I have been praying for you and yours also.
    I like to look at the whole of the Gospel of John as being in the context of being born again. I agree.
    When we look at the referenced scripture, and the rest of John, especially the third chapter, I can not see it any other way than the fact that those who received Him, even those who believe, were born completely of God. They were not born again by any exercise of the will of man, physically or mentally, or because of linage. God caused the new birth. 1 Peter 1
    In John 8 Jesus explains why an unregenerate person can not believe. They are of their father the devil. We all were of our father the devil before being birthed again by our Father God.
    We can argue this till we are blue can't we bro? I think the biggest sticking point for your theology however is prevenient grace in the Wesleyan tradition. Not all are given the Gospel, and the Gospel is the only way to be saved. That pretty much blows prevenient grace out of the water.... your brand of it anyway. :)
    Thank you for your prayers and please keep them coming. Satan does not want our new church to make it..... but I have faith in the One who has called us to plant this church.
    You are still the best Calvinist - non Calvinist on the board! :thumbs:

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

Wow, MB! Did you read the rest of the verse you cited??? "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ,..."

Sounds like a good profession to me -- all except the emphasis you put on doing nothing when it is quite obvious that you changed.

IOW, you died to self -- you betrothed yourself to Jesus -- you repented and turned to Jesus. We know. That is something YOU did. Look how many times you said "I" in your own testimony.

skypair

19. skypair

skypair Active Member

OK, so you're saying that an infant could be saved by God?

skypair

20. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Children are not lost. They are not "saved" either. In order to be saved, you must first be lost. They are an alive spirit, not accountable for the original sin of Adam, because of the work of Christ on the cross. This means if they die, they go to heaven, thru and by Jesus Christ, because of what He done and no one else.

I do not dismiss the doctrine of total depravity, just of when it begins. No one ever came to God unless God first spoke to them. This is found in the OT, NT and now. Christ said He would draw all men, I believe Him. But on their own, man will not seek God.

Christ told His disciples that they must be converted as little children if they were to enter into the kingdom (Mat 18:3). I don't think He was telling them they had to be converted from their dead spirit into a child's dead spirit.

If a person is born spiritually alive, then spiritually die when they come to know good and evil, they must be born again to go to heaven. Born of the Spirit of God. Spiritually alive. Born a second time.

#60 Outsider, Mar 6, 2008