1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Born of a woman, born under the law....Gal 4:4

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by AndThisGospel, Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

What is the gospel? In a nutshell it is the birth, life, death and resurrection of Christ.How did Christ by his birth, life, death and resurrection, save us from under law to under grace?

The first question we must answer is why do we stand condemned "in Adam" so that "in Adam all die"?

The answer is found in Romans 5:12

"through one man (Adam) sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned."

All humanity was implicated in Adam's sin. Therefore all humanity shares in Adam's fallen life. All humanity is literally bone of his bones and flesh of his flesh because all of us were taken out of Adam. See Gen 2:23

Turn now to Gal 4:4 ,5

"But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, 5 so that He might redeem those who were under Law."

Now what happened in the incarnation? God the Father united the Divinity of Christ to our Adamic life in the womb of Mary. That life in Mary's womb is the same life all of us share with Adam.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WRONG, as Jesus has a sinless nature, NOT our Adamic nature!

3. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Keep in mind that Jesus is God. In fact He has always been God. Even more, there was never a beginning with Him because He is "the Great I Am". He is spotless...sinless and righteous. He is holy.

Do you agree so far?

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did not receive a sin nature, correct?

5. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

One step at a time....Right now I am addressing Christ as the Son of God. I am viewing His Majesty before the world was created.

The Bible states that "God is spirit". He is not "flesh and blood" as we are.

Do you agree so far?

6. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'll simplify this for you, ATG.

1 Corinthians 15:3-4
    [3]I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me.
    Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said.
    [4]He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said.

The gospel.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Yes, all that is true, but the Scriptures say much more. No use be ignorant on the subject.

8. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

"God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent" Numbers 23:19

"God is spirit" John 4:24

9. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Now, turn to Romans chapter 1

1 Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, 2 which He promised beforehand through His prophets in the holy Scriptures, 3 concerning His Son, who was born of a descendant of David according to the flesh, 4 who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord, ....

After the incarnation Jesus was still God, but now He was also "born...according to the flesh".

Phil 2:6...although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Jesus is God, but at the incarnation He relinquished His Divinity over to the Father took the form of a man.

Heb chapter 10 is even clearer:

verse 5 Therefore, when He (the Divinity of Christ) comes into the world, He says, “Sacrifice and offering You have not desired, But a body You have prepared for Me"

Did you get that? How did Christ as God come into the world? By uniting Himself to our humanity in the womb of Mary. That "body" belonged to our humanity according to the flesh.

10. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

"And the Word became flesh" John 1:14

Heb 2:14 Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same....17 Therefore, He had to be made like His brethren in all things....

BTW, "flesh and blood" cannot enter into the kingdom of God. See 1 Cor 15:50

Keep in mind that the Deity of Christ wasn't changed into Jesus as a man.

What God the Father did was to unite the Divinity of Christ to our Adamic life in the womb of Mary. That life (body) became "the son of man".

11. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

So the question was did Jesus have a sinful nature?

Well, who is Jesus?

Answer: Jesus is God. He never stopped being God. He was never created; therefore He has always existed. So Jesus never had a sinful nature because this would imply it was His by native right.

But, the humanity He was untied to in the womb of Mary was "flesh & blood". We are told that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God". So the humanity that Christ united Himself to was unfit for heaven.

Does this imply that Christ as "the son of man" was a sinner? No. The Bible is clear that Jesus never sinned by thought, word or deed. Then why is "flesh and blood" - our fallen Adamic life - unfit for heaven?

Answer: Because it is mortal and because it is indwelt with our bent-to-self, what some would term "the sin nature'.

12. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

What happened the moment Christ, as the son of man, came into being?

He was "born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law" Gal 4:4,5

Gal 3:13 explains this:

"Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us"

Christ, as the son of man, was born under the curse, but not because He was a sinner such as we are. Christ was born spiritually alive and therefore His mind never consented to "the desires of the flesh". He was tempted in all points as we are, yet without sin" He never sinned.

But, because He was made according to the flesh, that life had to perish.

13. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul said it beatifully. I prefer his gospel to yours.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

That's good, but Paul also said that "you died to the law in the body of Christ" Rom 7:4

Paul also said, "our old life was crucified with Christ" Rom 6:6

Do you remember dying with Christ 2000 years ago? No? Then please tell me what died....I am all ears....

15. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In your first post, you asked this question in the first sentence.
    I shared Paul's beautiful creed, which the early church shared with him. It's perfect (and biblical). I prefer it over your version.
    [3]I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me. Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said.
    [4]He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Because we need more than milk...we eventually need solid food....In other words don't stay a Christian baby...grow up and learn of Christ....The Bible is loaded with info, or would you rather read the National Inquirer?

17. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Understanding the deeper parts of the gospel is always to build up our faith in Christ so that we are rooted and grounded in Him.

18. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You're saying the creed passed down from the earliest Christians is milk and not meat.
    My point about your pridefulness is made. Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

I'm saying there's much deeper, richer information. Hey, it's a start, but there's much more, unless you'd rather not learn more of Christ.

20. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The creed is deep and rich. Observe what it is saying.
    [3]I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me. Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.