1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Born of water?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, Apr 10, 2013.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

John 15:3
    You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.

Ephesians 5:26
    to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, duh! You can't be born "again" if you were never born the first time!

3. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

John the Baptist was filled with the H.G. from his mothers womb, so he was born again before he was born. :tongue3:

4. psalms109:31

Matthew 11:14
    And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come.

Luke 1:
    11 Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12 When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. 13 But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. 14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. 16 He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

Of course he was, he came in the power and Spirit of Elijah who was born again by His word to fulfill the prophesies to prepare the way only is by the power of the Holy Spirit could this be done. We are born again by His word, is there any other way?

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; (her) That he might sanctify and cleanse it (her) with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it (her) to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it (she) should be holy and without blemish. Eph 5:25-27

When will she be presented to Christ? Is she today, not having spot or blemish?

I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (her) Matt 16:18

Is she subject to the gates of Hades, yet the gates of Hades shall not prevail against her?

Matt. 3:14,15 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer [it to be so] now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness.
    Then he suffered him.
    Luke 12:50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!
    Matt. 20:22 Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?

Which baptism fulfilled all righteousness? Was the first a symbol of the second? A washing in water by the word to show what must come forth to fulfill all righteousness?

Matt. 20:23 Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with:

1 Cor 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our (her) sins according to the scriptures;
    And if Christ be not raised, your faith [is] vain; ye are yet in your sins. 1 Cor 15:17

Were our sins washed away when he died of when he was resurrected?

Does that shed a new perspective on, "he saved us, by washing of regeneration"?

If Christ be not raised ye are still in your sins, they have not been washed away.

Why do you think this is said of Jesus?

And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead;

When we are baptized with the baptism Jesus was baptized with, will we then also be born from the dead having overcome the gates of Hades, that is death? Will he then be the firstborn among many brethren? R8:29

Will the following then have taken place?
    But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Romans 8:11

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John the Baptist was born, lived, and died under the OT dispensation. What is your point? Do you mistakenly equate being born again with being filled with the Holy Spirit?

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being born again, (begotten again, conceived) not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
    Blessed the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten (conceived) us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 1 Peter 1:23,3

Because Jesus is the firstborn from the dead we have been given the Holy Spirit begetting us to a hope of life from the dead.

That being justified by his grace, (justified when the Father raised his dead Son from the dead) we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:7
    For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? Romans 8:24

8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 15:3 spoken in the context of thus saith the Lord. Spoken by, "that prophet," like unto Moses.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 5:7 YLT This one is he who did come through water and blood -- Jesus the Christ, not in the water only, but in the water and the blood;

Would like to read ya'll's commentary on above.

10. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.Ezekiel 36:25-26 (New International Version)

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

12. psalms109:31

OPps double post

#32 psalms109:31, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2013
  13. psalms109:31

Hebrews 4
    4 Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed.3 Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

“So I declared on oath in my anger,
    ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”
    And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.”5 And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.”

6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted:

“Today, if you hear his voice,
    do not harden your hearts.”
    8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

1 John 2
    20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.21 I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth. 22 Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

24 As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is what he promised us—eternal life.

Hebrew 11
    17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, 18 do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” 20 Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either.

22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

We are born again by His word we are to enter the rest and remain in Him. We are already clean because of His word. The church assembly is being cleaned by His word and it is made up of individuals

1 John 2:19
    They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

#33 psalms109:31, Apr 11, 2013
  14. salzer mtn

No. Have a good day.

#34 salzer mtn, Apr 11, 2013
  15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign [kingdom] of God Jn 3:3 YLT

...If any one may not be born of water, and the Spirit, he is not able to enter into the reign [kingdom] of God Jn3:5 YLT

The better question would actually be what do you think Christ meant by ' the kingdom of God'?

Well, duh! It's not born 'again', it's 'BORN FROM ABOVE':

....It behoveth you to be born from above; the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit. Jn 3:7,8 YLT

As in:

But the Jerusalem that is above is free, which is our mother. Gal 4:26

As in:

3 Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God. Selah
    4 I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon as among them that know me: Behold, Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia: This one was born there.
    5 Yea, of Zion it shall be said, This one and that one was born in her; And the Most High himself will establish her.
    6 Jehovah will count, when he writeth up the peoples, This one was born there. Selah
    7 They that sing as well as they that dance shall say, All my fountains are in thee. Ps 87

'Born from above' is a direct reference to the children of the heavenly Zion, and, before one can enter into or even see the kingdom of God THEY MUST FIRST BE A CHILD OF THE HEAVENLY ZION.

Now, what did Christ mean by 'the kingdom of God'?

#35 kyredneck, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
  16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 3:3 ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς καὶ εἶπεν αὐτῷ· Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω σοι, ἐὰν μή τις γεννηθῇ ἄνωθεν, οὐ δύναται ἰδεῖν τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ θεοῦ.

ἄνωθεν: anew, again, from ἄνω: to accomplish.

17. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    “….The word ͺνωθεν has always the meaning ‘above’ in the fourth Gospel (ch. iii. 3, 7, 31; xix. 11, 23); and otherwise also St. John always speaks of ‘a birth’ from God (St. John i. 13; 1 John ii. 29; iii. 9; iv. 7; v. 1, 4, 18).” – Edersheim

2 this one came unto him by night, and said to him, `Rabbi, we have known that from God thou hast come -- a teacher, for no one these signs is able to do that thou dost, if God may not be with him.`
    3 Jesus answered and said to him, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign of God;`
    7 `Thou mayest not wonder that I said to thee, It behoveth you to be born from above;
    21 but he who is doing the truth doth come to the light, that his works may be manifested, that in God they are having been wrought.`
    27 John answered and said, `A man is not able to receive anything, if it may not have been given him from the heaven
    31 he who from above is coming is above all; he who is from the earth, from the earth he is, and from the earth he speaketh; he who from the heaven is coming is above all. Jn 3 YLT

11 Jesus answered, `Thou wouldst have no authority against me, if it were not having been given thee from above; because of this, he who is delivering me up to thee hath greater sin.`
    23 The soldiers, therefore, when they did crucify Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to each soldier a part, also the coat, and the coat was seamless, from the top woven throughout, Jn 19 YLT

who -- not of blood nor of a will of flesh, nor of a will of man but -- of God were begotten. Jn 1:13 YLT
    if ye know that he is righteous, know ye that every one doing the righteousness, of him hath been begotten. 1 Jn 2:29 YLT
    9 every one who hath been begotten of God, sin he doth not, because his seed in him doth remain, and he is not able to sin, because of God he hath been begotten. 1 Jn 3:9 YLT
    7 Beloved, may we love one another, because the love is of God, and every one who is loving, of God he hath been begotten, and doth know God 1 Jn 4:7 YLT
    1 Every one who is believing that Jesus is the Christ, of God he hath been begotten, and every one who is loving Him who did beget, doth love also him who is begotten of Him
    4 because every one who is begotten of God doth overcome the world, and this is the victory that did overcome the world -- our faith
    18 We have known that every one who hath been begotten of God doth not sin, but he who was begotten of God doth keep himself, and the evil one doth not touch him 1 Jn 5 YLT

"

#37 kyredneck, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Zechariah 13:1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.

Zechariah 14:8 And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.

John 4:14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 19:34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

Revelation 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

Being born of water is the water that Jesus gives us to drink...spiritual water, that is.

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alfred Edersheim was first ordained by the Free Church of Scotland then, later, by the Church of England. Both believed in infant sprinkling and that anti-biblical bias is seen in all his writings, including his failure to understand the simple cognate of "to accomplish" "again" or "anew."

20. salzer mtn

The sciptures you put up all refer to water as being the Spirit. So that would make the scripture say, Verily, verily, i say unto thee, except a man be born of Spirit and of Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

#40 salzer mtn, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013