1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Bought by God

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HisWitness, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Doesn't being "bought" imply ownership? How did the false teachers in 2 Peter 2 get disowned?

You are saying that Christ "bought" these false teachers, which would mean that He owned them and then He condemned them. You're not making sense.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually the slave / master thing was your understanding.

If I post your bail for a crime you commit do I own you?

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The verse says "bought" not "bailed". Please deal with the actual words used in 2 Peter 2:1.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Kind of like " Lord", ? The context determines the meaning, and nothing implies a slave purchase.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I gave the Greek words and meanings for "Lord". The Greek for "Lord" in this verse is not the same as for the other times "Lord" is used in the NT. One is kurios, the other is despotes (which is used in 2 Peter 2:1.) Then I gave my opinion. I only spoke of slave/master because of the GREEK word despotes.

You have yet to explain why the false teachers were "bought" and then condemned.

Strong's Greek Dictionary
    59. agorazo
    from 58; properly, to go to market, i.e. (by implication) to purchase; specially, to redeem:--buy, redeem.

What you are trying to say is that Christ redeemed these false teachers or at least made it possible. But that is not what the word bought means. Your interpretation does not make sense.

#25 Amy.G, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Peter was speaking to an audience of Jews who would understand just what he meant. You have yet to explain how a false teacher is a slave to Christ and how that purchase went down.

#26 webdog, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013