1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bought or sold a piano lately?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Alcott, May 16, 2012.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a relative who owns the Kimball baby grand piano in my house, and as she has been on weeks of maternity leave without pay, she needs the money selling it may bring (she lives about 100 miles away). Unfortunately, none of us involved know that much about pianos or how to estimate the value of this one. I know there is supposed to be a serial number somewhere on it, but I cannot find it. Knowing when it was manufactured, which could be learned from that number, should be a start on appraisal. While the finish is still at least fair (I think), I know it is way out of tune and there are a couple of keys that are stuck and one or 2 that stick down temporarily. The pedals are loose.

As you might guess, I am no pianist (at best, I might play an old familiar hymn competently after a few day's practice), no one has played that thing as it should be played for many years, and virtually not at all for quite a few years. While I would like to buy it from the owner to get her some needed cash, I would hate to be short or over on this.

If it helps, the piano was bought for $475 in 1968 for my sister and me to learn to play, so I'm certain it should be 50 to 70 years old, definitely 45+. And I have found out the price for tuning is $125 to $155, and more if not done for years. I'm thinking of offering her $600 plus the promise of 1/3 net profit if there is any.

Anyone know, or can tell much about this from my description?

2. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Our church is in the process of purchasing a new Clavinova. We have an upright spinet that we're wanting to use as a "trade-in", we've been offered $250 for it. While looking at the Clavinova there was a beautiful Baldwin baby grand for sale for $4,500.00.

Since I don't know anything about the condition of your relative's piano it would be difficult to give you a value. I've seen them sell from anywhere from $1,500 and up. Providing it's in good condition, all the keys are in working order, none of the ivories are missing and the only work it needs done is tuning I'd guess that $1,500 would be a good starting price for it.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ".....The serial number could be located at the following areas:

1. On the cast-iron plate between the treble and bass strings
    2. On the plate just in front of the treble strings
    3. On one of the cross beams above the treble strings
    4. Engraved onto the soundboard below the treble strings
    5. On a metal plaque on the inside of the rim on either the bass side or treble side
    6. Just below the rim above the lyre engraved onto the frame
    7. Unscrew the keyslip (the strip of wood just in front of the keyboard); there are usually 3-4 screws from underneath the piano and the number should be engraved on the keyslip and the keyframe (which holds the keys).

To get an accurate assessment of what your piano is worth, you will need to have a technician visually inspect the piano and its 12,000 parts. You can get a referral from the Piano Technicians Guild (www.ptg.org).

Good luck."
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Piano-Organ-Keyboard-650/2009/11/Kimball-Baby-Grand-Piano-1.htm