1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boxer Seeks to Ratify U.N. Treaty That May Erode U.S. Rights

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sen. Barbara Boxer is urging the U.S. to ratify a United Nations measure meant to expand the rights of children, a move critics are calling a gross assault on parental rights that could rob the U.S. of sovereignty.

The California Democrat is pushing the Obama administration to review the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child, a nearly 20-year-old international agreement that has been foundering on American shores since it was signed by the Clinton administration in 1995 but never ratified.

Critics say the treaty, which creates "the right of the child to freedom of thought, conscience and religion" and outlaws the "arbitrary or unlawful interference with his or her privacy," intrudes on the family and strips parents of the power to raise their children without government interference.

More Here

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

The ramifications of this would be severe. If I want to listen in on my kid's phone conversations, audit all internet activity, and require knowledge of where they are at all times, it is my right (and duty) as a parent.

If something like this goes through, it won't change the way I parent. It may just send me to jail though.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

One more attempt by the leftists [ and Boxer is a prime example] to make America a third world country.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It's another attempt to turn us more into a nanny state. Third world? I don't think so.

Third world "a categorical label used to describe states that are considered to be underdeveloped in terms of their economy or level of industrialization, globalization, standard of living, health, education or other criteria for 'advancements'."