1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boxer to Rice - beyond the pale....for mean

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LadyEagle, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Nice to have you on board again Dragoon, I've been thinking about you lately and have wondered if you would be involving yourself in the dialogue about the war in Iraq.
    There have been camparisons of Iraq to Viet Nam and many believe that we left Viet Nam before the job was done yet Viet Nam does not make itself a threat to the U.S.

I believe that everything that can be done in Iraq has been done and America has achieved a victory in lots of ways in that country
    I do believe that if America wanted to unleash all it's might it could decimate Iraq but that would require destroying many of Iraq"s natural resources that we value. It would also cause disrupting the delicate balance of peaceful relations we have with other countries (Russia and China to name a few).
    I believe also that if America was to leave Iraq that you would be seeing countries in the Mideast beating their chest claiming a victory while fearing the might of America. I believe that our country has demonstrated that we can and will fight the just war but it is up to the people of Iraq to fight for their country , we cannot continually veiw these people as being helpless without us being there to train them.
    We will always have the threat of terroisim no matter what even if we were to totally destroy Iraq but if we were to leave and if many can say that Iraq compares to Viet Nam then how can one say that they will be a viable threat even though Viet Nam has not been a threat since we left .
    Sincerely Dragoon it is good to see you back maybe we will kick up a little dust on this issue but in the end I will always value your opinions and you as a brother in Christ.

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Thanks Rocko9 for the kind words!

North Viet Nam was not a specific threat to America but Communism around the world certainly was and viewed very seriously in that era. By taking a stand in Viet Nam we helped curb its growth in Southeast Asia. In that respect we won something. In the beginning we boldly took on the fight claiming "we'd bear any burden and pay any price" but when it became unbearable at home and things didn't go as smoothly as we'd hoped we were very pleased to leave it behind by signing a "peace" treaty forced upon our friends.
    In the end South Viet Nam lost that war because their enemy was stronger especially with the continued support of its allies under cover of the treaty. We did nothing when the terms of that treaty were blatantly disrespected by those enemies even though we'd promised that we would. We just wanted to forget it all and we're content to write it off as a Vietnamese problem. We sure didn't keep our word and many people suffered greatly because of it. By this action we lost a lot of respect around the world and the result went down in history as our loss. All our individual and corporate failures took center stage in the world wide press. Our enemies took historical note that America seemed not to have the will to continue a prolonged fight nor hold together amidst self criticism of its own fallibilities.

Afghanistan and Iraq were not specific threats in the sense of armed nations posed to strike America's heartland but terrorism with its radical Islamic backing breeding in the area was and is an active threat to America that had struck deeply into our homeland as well as abroad in recent times. By taking a stand there we put the world on notice that we would do so and they'd we take the fight to them whever they were. Once again we told the world we'd do whatever it took for as long as it took. Iraq, with it's tyrant at the helm, was a prime source of support for terrorism and, as proved by previous actions, a serious threat to the region. We also believed, even if by flawed evidence, that this unpredictable dictator had the impending means to launch biological warfare upon us. We solved that problem even though we've beat ourselves silly over it. Iraq certainly needs to be responsible for their own nation and they have been taking a more active role as every day passes. I don't think the positive results get nearly enough press. The troops kept telling us that but we won't listen to them because we enjoy the negative news report far more. Iraq certainly does have problems and reforming the nation is not an easy for them. A complete and lasting peace is still elusive with serious discord amongst their own factions. There have been disappointments. There have been individual and corporate failures and, once again, our own press has eagerly spread the word. Our enemies exceedingly appreciate this news knowing well that America can be its own worst enemy turning its freedoms into a weapon of self destruction! Even with terrorism defeated the roots of it in radical Islam beliefs are likely to be difficult to destroy as evidenced by others in that fight longer than us. So all that just makes the fight that much more challenging but no less avoidable.

We have established a foothold in the region and we've made it known to the world that we will act even when many other nations won't and don't want us to. We should maximize it! We've drawn the terrorists of the region into the fight and we've killed many times more of them they have of us. We've forced several nations to play their hands. We've rid Iraq of Saddam's regime and given the people of Iraq a chance to do something positive with their government in hopes it will be a long term improvement.
    Some of them have embraced this opportunity thrilled at the chance of representative government. Others have capitalized on the chaos of war to cause more trouble. It's not over yet and it's going to be a long hard fight. We'd better have the will to continue it even for generations beyond our own. We'd better not be spoiled by our world of instant success and gratification. Our enemies sure aren't.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhh....

The big picture and the long view.

Anathema to politicos scrambling for power for today.

Thanks for a good post.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

True enough even if no one said you did. However, you jumped into the fray readily enough to defend the right-wing lie.

Yeah, same age as you and you're all growed up. They are nonetheless someone's children.

She didn't attack Rice. She included Rice in the same category as herself. To continue to pretend that this was an attack is disingenuous crossing into deceit.

She did not call Rice a "dried-up old maid". You tried put those words in her mouth, no pretending you didn't - the post is still there.

No, that's not my mistake - I've been quoting her actual words to contrast with the lies being told.

Preferred but not part of the actual job.

Hello, I hope you're well.

The Taliban and al Qaeda were specific threats. They were in Afghanistan, but not Iraq. Now, since the invasion, al Qaeda has a heavy presence in Iraq and the Taliban is making a comback in Afghanistan.

Plunging the country into war, chaos and destruction of the infrastructure is not giving the common people as very good chance of influencing this tenuous, unstable government for the better, imo.

5. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If it's the "lie" that Boxer made another personal attack, it's no lie.

Aren't we all?

Okay, then Barbara Boxer lied when she said:

This was the post?

I stand by that.

The keep up the good work. I'm afraid there's more to come, this is Barbara Boxer, after all.

Ditto for Sec. of State. Have a nice day!

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Thanks Daisy! I'm doing well and shouldn't complain at all because I'm very blessed by all the the Lord has provided. I hope you're also well.

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Of course not. Being a liberal, she probably didn't even realize that anyone would take a reference to childlessness as an insult.

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It sure is. I've quoted the actual words and what you claim she said - no match, no personal attack.

Of course, but you are the one claiming that referring to them as such is saying that we are "sending a five-year-old into battle". You can't have it both ways.

Full quote:
    In context, Boxer was the questioner and Rice the attacker. In taking the words out of context, you are trying to pretend that Boxer said she was attacking Rice. See the difference?

The words from the post, yes.

Why as it obviously isn't true?

Yeah, and there are Boxer bashers at large sowing lies and distortions.

Uh no, it's an actual part of the job:
    Thanks, I will.

9. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being a liberal, she probably just didn't care.

http://www.billpress.com/blog.html

There ya go. Somebody needs to tell him there's no draft, how could Bush send them to war if he wanted to? This is just old.

Cry cry cry.

10. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Originally Posted by The Galatian
    Of course not. Being a liberal, she probably didn't even realize that anyone would take a reference to childlessness as an insult.

True. It's an insult only to people for whom childlessness is shameful. All she was saying was that having a child of draft age, makes one more concerned about pointless wars.

I can assure you, that is true.

11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

First off, it isn't.

Secondly, she didn't make a reference to childlessness - the reference included any immediate relative - parent, sibling or child - or significant other.

Thirdly, Boxer put Rice in the same category as she put herself. Do you think she was insulting herself?

ETA: posted before your post above.....um, never mind.

#51 Daisy, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

He didn't say he had to send them, he asked why they hadn't gone. I think Press's point was silly, but get it right if you're going to criticize it.

Yeah but you're the one crying about how mean ole Barbara picked on poor little Condi, so....

13. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may know that's true, but how would she?

I'm not going to nitpick this anymore, you think her remarks were acceptable and understandable, I don't. Impasse reached.

14. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Observation.

Good idea. It was a silly complaint in the first place.

I'm a parent, and I love my kids.

I guess there must be a reason for that.

It appears so.

15. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vicious little flying pattern ya got there, Boxer and Press aren't alone.

The original:

Translation:

My original quote:

you think her remarks were acceptable and understandable,

which was then broken up as:

you think her remarks were acceptable and understandable,

And the non-answer:

Further parsing...

I don't.

If I was an admin, I'd ban you on the spot for this:

Beyond the pale indeed.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Hmm, I don't quite get the difference.

17. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you don't.

Part 1:

And the non-answer:

Part 2:

His "reply":

One or the other.

18. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

You might want to tone it down a bit yourself. Getting mean and aggressive here is a bad decision for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that you aren't very good at it when you try.

you think her remarks were acceptable and understandable, I don't.
    We all got that. I pointed out that her remarks are acceptable and understandable to me, because I'm a parent, and I love my kids. You knew this. Everyone else did, too. So why play it differently?

Barbarian writes the "bannable" phrase:
    I guess there must be a reason for that.

My suggestion that there's a reason you don't think it's acceptable is perfectly within the board rules. I could have been a lot more blunt than I was. Do yourself a favor; if you don't like Irish tag, don't play the game.

#58 The Galatian, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  19. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you patronize me.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Sorry, I still don't see how "you think her remarks were acceptable and understandable" can be said to be broken up from "you think her remarks were acceptable and understandable". I just don't get that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.