1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boy, 15, to be tried as adult in slaying

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by freeatlast, Sep 13, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"He is not the monster everybody portrays," said Houston attorney Paul Love, who represented Lewis in the juvenile system. "I think he's a really good kid in light of the circumstances."

Umm - did he not stab an 84 year old woman numerous times during a robbery? I'm sorry but that doesn't qualify for a "really good kid" to me.

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Kid Lived In California, He'd....

....Spend the remainder of his life stuck on death row. We currently have a supreme court hold on executions, and it is not likely to change anytime soon.

As for this youngster. All I can say is if he did the crime, he should do the time, and if the Texas courts sentence him to death, maybe other teens will think long and hard before they callously murder anyone, let alone a defenseless 84 year old woman.

FAL....I don't know the reason behind your post, and would like to have know your reasons before posting a comment. It seems like you are leading us unsuspecting folks into the same blind valley the Texas Rangers rodeinto, as they chased the Clanton gang.

We all know the story about those Rangers being ambushed, leaving alive, barely, a young Ranger, who - with the help of his soon-to-be faithful Indian companion - was nuersed back to health and came to be known as the Lone Ranger. :laugh:

Hi Yo Silver, away! :wavey:

Pastor Paul :type:

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe the article said that there is a federal law that a minor tried as an adult cannot get the death penalty so we're talking about up to life in prison - or else going through juvie and then regular prison for a term.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

6. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I posted that when he was first charged. I don't have a problem with trying a minor as an adult in serious cases. I also think there is a time and place for juvenile courts. You have to look at the totality of the circumstances and determine if the crime represents a relatively minor youthful indiscretion or if the unlawful action shows a seriously depraved mind. In the case of the 15-year-old, I think an adult criminal proceeding is the way to go.

In the case of the 12-year-old here in Jacksonville, an adult criminal proceeding is insane. Someone at the age of twelve simply does not have the moral reasoning capacity as an older teenager or adult, regardless of the offense. I can't for the life of me imagine what the prosecutors and grand jury were thinking when they indicted him.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm sorry but even my 8 year old knows that killing is wrong. Heck, she knows that hurting someone is wrong!! I mean to beat a 2 year old to death - that's honestly someone who has something terribly wrong inside of them. They don't suddenly turn into great, law abiding citizens.

8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I agree. There are few things that show depravity as well as what this boy did to his two year old brother.

I fear what he will do when he gets out of jail. I hope he doesn't move anywhere near where I live.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The courts in 2005 decided that they would make law instead of the legislature and it is against the law to execute anyone who commits a crime before they are 18. They say it is cruel and unusual punishment. Personally I believe that life in prison is cruel and unusual and I believe if found guilty the age should have no barrier for the death penalty.
    There is no hold on the death penalty for adults. The next execution in Texas is on the 15th with two more after that this month.

10. targus

targus New Member

You certainly seem to have a high degree of interest in the death penalty.

Does mercy fit into your concept of justice?

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have a high degree of interest to obey in all of God's commands, and while I get no pleasure out of the death penalty it is His command. So no mercy has no concept in justice in the courts. Mercy is a personal choice that we have the right to exercise on an individual bases as we see fit when a sin/crime has been done against us personally. No one has the right to force or even hold the expectation of mercy against the desire of the offended.
    In the case of murder a dead person cannot speak so we are to carry out justice that the Lord gave and execute the murderer. Mercy has no place in the courts as the courts are for justice. If your wife is raped you are not seeking mercy to let the man go. You want justice. She has the right to not prosecute if she wants to show what you are calling mercy, but another nor the court has no right to offer mercy on its own. The courts are for justice, not mercy.

#11 freeatlast, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
  12. targus

targus New Member

Can you provide the relavent Scriptures which support you belief that the death penalty is mandatory?

What if the family of the murder victim request mercy for the accused?

Not sure why you seem to believe that the only options are either death or release.

Imprisonment is not an alternative between the two?

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Can you provide the relavent Scriptures which support you belief that the death penalty is mandatory?

Gen 9:6 is a command.

What if the family of the murder victim request mercy for the accused?

The family does not have that right. The victim is the only one who can ask for mercy and they are dead. It would be no difference if a person was raped. The family has no right to seek mercy as that is up to the victim alone.

Not sure why you seem to believe that the only options are either death or release.

Imprisonment is not an alternative between the two?

How is it mercy if they still are held accountable with something that destroys their natural life? However as I said before only the victim has the right to seek mercy, not the courts.

14. FR7 Baptist

:laugh: Of course. You really love the death penalty.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

On the other hand I believe those who are against it hate the Lord
    :laugh:

16. FR7 Baptist

Do you think I'm going to hell for not being as pro-death penalty as you?

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Are you saying that you stand against God's commands?

18. FR7 Baptist

No. Do you think I'm going to hell for not being as pro-death penalty as you?

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I never mentioned hell. Scripture says what it says. All we have is scripture to determined such so you have to decide if you are going to hell based on scripture.
    By the way the death penalty was and is a command not an option.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1Cor 16:22 If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed. [fn] O Lord, come

1John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

20. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Everyone except freeatlast is going to hell. freeatlast is the only righteous person among us.