1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boy 'Who Came Back From Heaven' Recants Tale

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ame-back-from-heaven-going-back-to-publisher/

It was the 'Pulpit and Pen' blog (J. D. Hall/Reformation Montana) that obtained the boy's confession and broke the story. It appears they're exploiting it to attack the SBC's Lifeway Christian Resources:

http://pulpitandpen.org/2015/01/13/...en-recants-story-rebukes-christian-retailers/

2. T Alan

T Alan New Member

3. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

His last name, Malarkey ......says it all.

4. T Alan

T Alan New Member

Ha! good one.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LifeWay Christian Resources has stopped selling all "experiential testimonies about heaven"

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is an appalling lack of discernment throughout the "Christian" publishing industry and retail stores.

I was in my local Lifeway recently and was stunned by the very small area devoted to books while much of the store was devoted to tacky religious knick-knacks.

As a balance, I must admit that they have about the same amount devoted to books as the other "Christian" bookseller on my side of town. Fortunately, they had the N.T. Wright book I needed to get my hands on that day (loaned out my copy and it apparently found a new home) so I could put together some inter-testamental period chronologies for a Bible study handout.

That's more than I can say for the other bookstores in the area.

That said, the brick-and-morter bound book business is dying a slow death. Lifeway needs to start thinking about the future of their retail stores.

• Why do they exist? (They are not a regular business, but an arm of the SBC.)
    • What products do they need to supply "same day"?
    • Who are their customers?
    • Why does it make sense to offer "same day" products to these customers for a premium price?
    • Is this the best use of the SBC's financial resources?

#6 Baptist Believer, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015