1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brackney's Genetic History of Baptists

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Erasmus, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Erasmus

Erasmus New Member

I wanted to make everyone aware of a new book this is out there. Wiliam Brackney, Professor of Baptist history at Baylor University, has recently published A Genetic History of Baptists. I think it is an excellent book. It is published by Mercer University Press. It traces the roots of Baptists in America from several different contexts. It also talks about which universities and seminaries have had the greatest effect on Baptist churches. I highly reccomend this book.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the Mercer Press page:
    It sounds as if Brackney searches both the diversity and commonality of Baptists for the traits that identify them. Fisher Humphreys gave it a good review in the Baptist Studies Bulletin.

Joe, or anyone, have you read Shurden's "The Baptist Identity"? Is there any comparison between the two? I was disappointed with Dr. Shurden's attempt to define the essence of what constitutes being a Baptist. Seems his time scope and content pool were too narrow or small. It appears William Brackney's research for this book is broader and deeper.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Fisher Humphreys' book review, Brackney finds that all Baptists display the following characteristics:

4. Erasmus

Erasmus New Member

Shurden's book is quite a bit weaker than Brackney's. I believe the best book Shurden wrote was Not a Silent People. Even though Brackney's book is strong and more up to date, I still prefer McBeth. I think McBeth understands the Southern Baptist mindset better than Brackney who is a northern Baptist. I also gave Brackney a strong review in the Midwestern Baptist Theological Journal. Have your read any of Bill Leonard's new books?

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist