1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brain surgery goes awry in R.I.

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by moondg, Dec 14, 2007.

1. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

One operation went awry after an experienced brain surgeon insisted to a nurse he knew what side of the head to operate on — but got it wrong.
    Another time, a doctor-in-training cut into the wrong side of a patient's head after skipping a pre-op checklist. In a third case, the chief resident started brain surgery in the wrong place, and the nurse didn't stop him.
    All three mistakes happened at the same hospital in less than a year — Rhode Island Hospital, the state's most prestigious medical center and a teaching hospital for the Ivy League's Brown University.
    That was startling enough, but just as surprising was that the errors happened despite an explicit set of required operating-room precautions adopted by the medical profession a few years ago to prevent "wrong-site surgery" mistakes. Those measures include the use of checklists, "time-outs" to double-check everything is correct, and indelible markers to show the surgeon where to cut.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071214...s&printer=1;_ylt=Ammv.OIlq7tgU_LhMBwlLM9H2ocA
    I do not want to go to this hospital. Of course some people do not think I have a brain so it would not be a problem:laugh: .