1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Branch Davidian Seventh Day Adventist Association

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Ben W, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Church Beliefs

Their basic beliefs follow those of the Seventh Day Adventist church, with its emphasis on the imminent arrival of Jesus Christ, dietary rules, the inerrancy of the Bible, etc. They differ only slightly from many Evangelical churches. However, they have added a number of additional, novel concepts which were centered on themselves and their leader:

God has provided a prophet whose pronouncements are to be regarded on a par with the Bible.

Christ's death on the cross provided salvation only for those who died before 32 CE. People who have died since will only be saved through the activities of the current BD prophet.

They believe that the "lamb" mentioned in Revelation 5:2 is not Jesus Christ (as essentially all Christians believe) but is David Koresh himself. The lamb is to open up the seven seals and trigger the sequence which ends the world as we know it. This belief caused a great deal of misunderstanding; many Christians believe that Koresh viewed himself as Jesus Christ, and was thus psychotic.

After the breaking of the seals, Christ would return to earth. A battle would occur in which the BDs would play a major role. The BD members alone would ascend to heaven to be with God.
    Massive confusion developed within the BD during the standoff. Koresh apparently believed that the BATF raid was in some way related to the Book of Revelation's Apocalypse and the war of Armageddon. However details did not fit. Koresh taught that it would occur in Jerusalem in 1995, not in Texas during 1993. 

http://www.religioustolerance.org/dc_branc1.htm

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Cult. And I don't use that word lightly.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about "Students of the Seven Seals"?

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually I think the association is "Shepherds Rod" - a small group split from the SDA church, Davidians split from Shepherd's Rod, Branch Davidians split from the Davidians, and the guy that "called himself" David Koresh was expelled from the Branch Davidian church and so he started his own version of it.

I could not blame the Davidians or Shepherd's Rod for what Koresh believed any more than I can blame the RCC for what Lutherans believe today.

In Christ,

Bob

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

What church denomination was Jim Jones from? and I wonder if whatever that goofball did means that whatever his denomination he claimed to be from is also a cult?

Or do you think that if a church has millions of people in it that maybe a few will be weirdos? and that this doesnt have anything to do with the actual church?

I think the option #2 is more realistic

Claudia

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

As the Apostle Paul and the messengers of the cross went about their work of teaching, a woman possessed of a spirit of divination followed them, crying, "These men are the servants of the most high God, which show unto us the way of salvation. And this did she many days."

This woman was a special agent of Satan and had brought to her masters much gain by soothsaying. Her influence had helped to strengthen idolatry. Satan knew that his kingdom was being invaded, and he resorted to this means of opposing the work of God, hoping to mingle his sophistry with the truths taught by those who were proclaiming the gospel message.

The words of recommendation uttered by this woman were an injury to the cause of truth, distracting the minds of the people from the teachings of the apostles and bringing disrepute upon the gospel, and by them many were led to believe that the men who spoke with the Spirit and power of God were actuated by the same spirit as this emissary of Satan.

Satan works much in the same way today. It is unfair to insinuate that because this nut David Koresh claimed to be a Seventh Day Adventist... then there must be something wrong with our Church, I very much resent.

It seems to me that instead of addressing the things that were posted on the SDA thread ... some of you have started up new threads to try to discredit my church in subtle ways.. or should I say not so subtle ways?

Instead of just coming out and saying what you really are getting at.

Not surprising though.

Claudia

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Quit crying Claudia. [​IMG] you can take it...right?

I have posted on here for a while. There are many SDA that post on here. I saw very view hits on the SDA faith over the time i have been on here. We mostly kept to doctrine. Now...I have noticed this change just as you claim, but I think there is good reason. Before when we talked about doctrine there were no prophet quoted other then what we find in the Bible. When this changed..in other words...when YOU started posting white as infallible truth, the hits just kept a coming.

You have to realize that no one other then SDA think white is a prophet. If you post her as "the truth"...get ready for the hits. Take a note from Bob. Bob post his views and backs it with a Bible verse. With this aproach, there would not be a need by others to defend their disbelief in white.

Having said that...

It is CRAZY and shows a lack of intelligent to link SDA with the stupid things and ways of the Branch Davidians only because they came from the SDA. Thats like saying BJU is part of the Charles Manson Faimly. Manson went to BJU for one year.

In Christ...James

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And lets not forget that great "baptist" preacher "Jim Jones".

The point is - the groups that expell these guys - (and some cases - several denominations removed from them) can not all be held accountable for the reprobates that they cast out.

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BTW - William Miller himself (founder of the Millerite 1844 movement) held baptist credentials as a minister of the Gospel.

I have yet "to blame baptists" for what he said about 1844.

But with others - there appears to be "no limit".

10. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I once worked for a business that had a large Seventh-Day Adventist organization as a client.

I don't share many of their beliefs, but I will tell you that the people running that organization were as good an example of Christian charity and ethics as any other group I have known.

11. Kamoroso

Kamoroso New Member

David Koresh beleived that he was the Lord Jesus Christ. He also taught that his followers needed to forget everything they already knew about the scriptures, and listen to him alone for truth. He certainly did not get any of this from the SDA church. I can honestly say, that in the last twnety six years of my life as an SDA, no SDA has ever told me not to read this or that, or look for myself for the truth. To the contrary, my experience is that individuals are always encouraged to be sure for themselves, what they believe. This is certainly not what a cult does with it's members.

Bye for now Y. b. in C. Keith

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JAurthur,

I dont know how many other ways to say this or explain this but I in no time no way EVER posted any of Ellen Whites writings on this message board as "infallible truth". I just would never do that. I know better than that. And there is no basis whatever for anyone ever accusing me of that. Why on earth would I ever do that if you dont believe she is a prophet? that wouldnt make any sense at all!

So just knock it off will you? If you can find a place on here where I ever posted Ellen Whites writings as "infallible truth" then get it out and show it to me and exactly what I said, ok?

On that one thread I plainly said that Im lying here in bed, its hard to type upside down on this laptop computer, I posted some of the things she said about faith and works because I also believed the same things... and it was much easier for me to just copy and paste things she'd already written out about it.

Geesh, cant anyone read and just take what I say for what I say? Its like you guys are just bound and determined to make it like I did that and Ellen White herself says not to do that... I wouldnt post her writings to anybody on here and use that as proof for anything.

For heavens sake I dont know how to get that through your head.

13. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

and the other thing I did on that thread was to post a passage by Ellen White on the subject of Jesus washing Peter's feet because DHK had posted someone else's writings. Once again, I agreed with everything Ellen White said on that subject I it was very difficult that day for me to even type so I copied and pasted what she said instead, I guess you guys would love to believe I did what you say I did but believing it doesnt make it so.

14. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JAuthur,

then I also posted something from the EG White estate site on the subject of the shut door thing because you brought it up and I didnt want nor could I type the whole explanation out myself about it, it made sense just to copy and paste what they had already said about it.

I dont see whats so terrible about anything I have done. Personally I just think that some here who were just looking for something with which to attack the SDA church with, seized upon that and used it, even though I never did anything of the kind.

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Just as a side note, my husband works in police work, security and stuff like that. And a while back, he was attending a conference or something like that where this religious cults and movements police guy was the speaker. They investigate into these various cults.

Anyway after he got done speaking he was talking to my husband and he the conversation went over to one of my websites and the guy said "oh yes, I know who your wife, Claudia is, she was one of the people on David Koresh's hit list.

Well that wasnt fun to find out. I dont have any trouble figuring out why I was on his hit list. At the time, I had just written a book for my church and thousands of people were reading it and it must of really put a real damper on what Koresh was doing in his little compound there. I imagine he was losing some of his victims because of it. I lived about an hour's drive from there.. near Waco.

Anyway just thinking about him gives me the creeps and I resent anyone linking that frikin goofball with the Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Claudia

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

really? humm. ok..here's the 1st link. if you want more...let me know.

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/28/3696/14.html#000198

after you read this...do a word search for Ellen White. see how many times the post comes up.

Next... look and see who post all the quotes by her.

To do a word search it is very easy. look at the top right hand side of your web page you will see this..

my profile | directory | search | faq | forum home

Click on "search" and type in the word you want to search for.

Report back to us...will ya?

17. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

18. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

In regqards to me supposedly claiming Ellen White is infallible, please read these words from Ellen White herself.

Counsels to Writers and Editors, page 37, paragraph 1
    Chapter Title: Attitude to New Light
    We have many lessons to learn, and many, many to unlearn. God and heaven alone are infallible. Those who think that they will never have to give up a cherished view, never have occasion to change an opinion, will be disappointed. As long as we hold to our own ideas and opinions with determined persistency, we cannot have the unity for which Christ prayed.

The Faith I Live By, page 13, paragraph 2
    Chapter Title: The Word and Works of God
    In His Word, God has committed to men the knowledge necessary for salvation. The Holy Scriptures are to be accepted as an authoritative, infallible revelation of His will. They are the standard of character, the revealer of doctrines, and the test of experience.

Selected Messages Book 1, page 37, paragraph 4
    Chapter Title: Ellen G. White and Her Writings
    In regard to infallibility, I never claimed it; God alone is infallible. His word is true, and in Him is no variableness, or shadow of turning.--Letter 10, 1895.

19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

JAuthur,,

AND SO WHAT??? where did I say she was infallible or hold her up to you or anyone else here as an infallible guide?

20. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

...and ya aint gonna find me saying that because I know better than to do that.

youre just making stuff up about me