1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Branson/Las Vegas at Christmas

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are planning 2005/2006 (with my wife being a doctor, clinic scheduling is nothing short of a nightmare). We have to block off time NOW or there won't be openings to see grandkids or take vacation then.

All the kids are home here this Christmas, but in 2005 they are all at in-laws and we are alone. Wife suggested a cruise (very expensive at the holidays) and I said why not Branson or Las Vegas?

Now I'm looking for support, experiences, ideas or maybe even suggestions totally different. I know its 13 months away but H-E-L-P!

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Branson is sort of fun, but more for the older folks. (I should say. . . older than me folks. :rolleyes:

If you are adamant about Branson at Christmas... there is some stuff to do for the children--things I would suggest.
    Ripleys believe it or not.
    Shoji Tabuchi
    The Shepherd of the Hills play--but I don't know if it is open at Christmas
    Shopping.
    Swimming. (duh, but it is winter.)
    That is about it.

On the other hand,.. .. let me give you some different ideas.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

San Antonio.

River walk. Sports. History.

Which would be a reason to go to Virginia.

Or, how about Washington DC.

What you could do each year for the rest of your life is to rotate between Christmas is to focus on history one year, music one year, Dance one year, the outdoors one year. Camping.

4. KeithS

KeithS New Member

Dr. Bob,

All kinds of shows in Branson building up to Christmas. Most of the entertainment is top notch. Silver Dollar City has lights up (SDC is kind of a late 1800's theme park). Only a very few rides. Mostly craftsmen selling wares of the era, costumed entertainers, etc. Once you are in the park all of the shows are free. Food is another matter. Pretty neat if you have never been there.

If weather is permitting and you are up to day trips you can go 160 miles north to Kansas City. Crown Center and the Plaza are beautiful during the holidays. Upper end shopping experience. 200 miles northeast you can make it to St. Louis. A little more "cultural" than Kansas City. Or go 60 miles west to Carthage - home of Precious Moments. I don't know their holiday schedule, but it is a pretty neat place to visit, but definitely for the tourists.

30 miles south of Branson is Springfield. Not really a cultural hub, but we do have Bass Pro Shops. 300,000 sq. ft. of pure shopping pleasure for the outdoorsman. Really a great place to visit. They even have Dockers for the less outdoors minded.

National Fish and Wildlife Museum in a separate building. Our church held VBS there. One of the guys that does Graphics Design work for them goes to our church and negotiated a great price for three days of "Lora the Explorer" by trading them some design work. We had about 500+ kids there - many of them unchurched. It was even done during Bass Pro's fall hunting classic. It really surprised me because there are people from all over the country that come to the BPS classics. A lot of traffic in the store and museum.

Anyway, just a few things to do. Actually - that may be all there is to do. You might want to contact the Chamber of Commerce for next years show schedule. Go to www.branson.com for more info. about shows, etc. But I doubt it is updated for 2005-2006 yet.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We did Christmas in San Antonio in 1986 (cold rain in downpours for days, but brand new grand opening of Embassy Suites and my kids loved it) but did see sites.

And Christmas in Williamsburg in 1987 which was also mostly rainy and the big parks closed. Jamestown, Yorktown, Richmond and Petersburg were all nearby. I had been lecturing at Wm & Mary in Oct and been SO IMPRESSED by fall there, but Christmas was just dreary and ugly.

Did New Orleans in 90 and LA/Anaheim in 91 - we LOVE to travel at Christmas break.

Is Branson far enough south to avoid bad weather.

6. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aloha,

Just come on over to Hawaii for Christmas......

Man, I only have around 9 months left before I leave this Paradise. My next duty assignment most likely back on the mainland. I will miss this place!

John

7. KeithS

KeithS New Member

You might see some bad weather in Branson. Hard to tell really. The last few years have seen earlier snows but much milder winters. Typically the snow is only on the ground for a few days and no more than a few inches - but there are exceptions. Usually have snow one day and get up to 50 the next.

I grew up in K.C. where winter is more robust. I still remember my first year in college seeing one of the few big snows here in Springfield (about 8 inches). My jaw dropped when they cleared the roads with farm tractors! They have gotten much better since then. Don't know about Branson though. LOTS of steep hills if you leave the main road (hwy 76).

Biggest problem with Branson in Dec/Jan is that a lot of the shows and other stuff close down the first of the year. Most are still open up to Christmas - but first of the year is pretty dead. That's why you better check on show schedules, etc. prior to booking a trip. If you will be here mid-dec to end of dec you should be okay. After that might not be as good.

8. KeithS

KeithS New Member

On the other hand - my father-in-law has a condo in St. Augustine and it would be pretty nice in December if you don't want a white Christmas.

9. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

I know you probably hate TN Dr. Bob, but we have lots to do here in Nashville at the old Opryland Hotel...now called the Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center.

If not Nashville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg is absolutely wonderful during Christmas.

Check out this site.
    www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordopryland/entertainment/country_christmas.cfm

Good luck in your research [​IMG]

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Yeah, you might see bad weather in Branson.

What about Santa Fe or Albuquerque? I am still up for New York City myself.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the good suggestions. It IS a year off but I'm so retentive that I makes plans and reservations months ahead.

12. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You might want to check out Disney World at Christmas. We normally go the weekend or two beforehand each year and it is great. Key things to consider:

1. The weather is great in Orlando during December and should give you a break from your Wyoming weather.

2. The parks are beautifully decorated for Christmas. Also, each Disney hotel has its own "Christmas" theme, including one of them having chestnuts roasting on an open fire each evening.

3. At EPCOT, they have a wonderful outdoor Christmas program each night during the Christmas season - it is worth seeing. There are many other shows and concerts as well.

4. There are many good churches in the surrounding Orlando area for a Christmas Eve service.

5. You should be able to get a fairly good air fare.

6. If you're a Cirque fan, they have a ongoing show at Downtown Disney.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

FoS, I'm quite jealous. I'm going to the Walt Disney World Resort for a week in February, for my honeymoon. Right now, the Disneyland resort in Anaheim (Disneyland, CA Adventure, Downtown Disney), are beautifully decked out for Christmas.

I do look forward to visiting WDW in Feb, though. My Mrs and I are staying at the Grand Floridian, which looks absolutely gorgeous.

14. Pathwalker

Pathwalker New Member

Las Vegas is a great place to visit if you are an adult. There are not a lot of things for kids to do. Branson is a great place for the family. There are shows, museums, and places for the children to go to. They will have a wonderful time there.

15. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Johnv - Hope you have a great time at DW in February with your bride. That is a great time to go -- the weather is perfect and school is still in session so it shouldn't be too crowded.

By far, the Grand Floridian is the most beautiful hotel out of the bunch (hope you got a good deal!), so I'm sure that you will enjoy it. As you get closer to the date, remind me and I'll give you my recommendations.

Congrats again on the upcoming wedding.