1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Braves announcers

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, May 2, 2006.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

The Braves announcers have been replaced on Turner South by Fox Sports Net announcers because Fox bought the network. This is horrible I grew up listening to the Braves announcers, they are like part of the team. Are any other Braves fans on BaptistBoard frustrated by this?

2. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Why would anyone on here want to admitt to being a Braves fan? ;) :D [​IMG]

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I quit watching the Braves on TBS. They put so much crap up on the screen as far as graphics go that you can't even see the game.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Although I'm not a Braves fan, when we first got cable in the early 80's as a kid, I loved watching old channel 17 WTBS and all those Braves games. I'd watch Pete Van Weren, Skip Carey and Ernie Johnson - I loved them. Watching Braves games was how I got my baseball info those days. It was great.

5. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

4hisglory -- you'd rather be a Tiger's fan?? BTWm, when was the last time they actually had a winning record??

To answer the question, yes, I miss the old announcers.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Pete Van Weren, Skip Carey and Ernie Johnson were fantastic.

Skip cornered the market on deadpan sarcastic humor. He was at his best when the Braves were awful.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The only thing palatable about watching the Braves was their announcers. Who is doing their games on TBS?

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

My dad got this tape of baseball bloopers or something like that. One of them was of a Braves game in the 80s. There were men on 1st and 2nd with 1 out and Skip Carey said, "We're going to commercial here just as soon as {batter's name} hits into a 6-4-3 double play." On the very next pitch, Skip says, "And {batter's name} grounds it to the shortstop for a 6... 4... 3 double play." Funny stuff. [​IMG]

9. Convicted by the Spirit

Man this stinks ... well. I don't have cable any longer so I don't see the Braves unless I am at someone's house. Not sure what they are thinking, but I grew up listening to Harry Carey on WGN (Go Cubbies) and also listening to Skip on TBS. Been a Braves fan since the Dale Murphy days.

Skip's voice is a one of a kind.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

2006 :D

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I don't think any announcing team could match the Phillies' Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn and now, Harry and Larry Andersen.

Richie (more often known by his nickname, "Whitey") was unbelievably funny and provided a nice foil to Harry's low key, Walter Cronkite-like delivery.

Even ten years after his death, Phillies' fans still repeat his catchphrase, "Hard to believe, Harry" and "I hear he's an outstanding ballroom dancer".

He could very easily have been a comedian.

He was so beloved in Philly that, when his body lay in repose at the Basillica of Sts. Peter and Paul, there was a four hour wait to pay respects.

And, of course, part of the new Phillies' ballpark is named for him.

As a player, he once hit a woman in the head with a foul ball and then, as she was being wheeled out of the stadium on a stretcher, managed to hit her in the head a second time.

12. standingfirminChrist

Even though Chipper Jones has been a friend of the family for many years (my mother babysit for his grandmother), I am not a Braves fan. Nor a Dodgers, Yankees, or any other MLB fan. I don't care for sports.

Before ya call me a deadbeat, let me explain. I am blind, as many of you know. When I was young, I was not allowed to participate at all in any sports in school, so I did not find them the least bit interesting. I guess I carried it over to my middle age years.

13. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

2006 :D </font>[/QUOTE]OK, time for more kool aid.

14. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

[qb]

My brother-in-law and his brother and I went to one of the Phillies/Braves games two years ago.

We had the Diamond Box seats, just about four rows back and when Larry was on deck, they were pretty brutal. I mean, I love to heckle guys, but these two were just awesome.

They definitely got his attention and I could tell that they annoyed him pretty well.

16. standingfirminChrist

Mike,

You'd be surprised at how much Chipper can take when it comes to heckling.

He may look annoyed, but he goes back to the bullpen with a smile on his face.

Mother can tell you of the time when he had his socks filled with shaving cream and his cap filled with gravy. lol He took it in stride, got his razor and shaved, then poured the gravy on his biscuits and ate.

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

If he goes to the bullpen after being heckled, then the heckling must have affected him more than he lets on.

18. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I still miss Milo, I hink he is in Houston. Never took to the new bou Skip Carey.

19. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old Ch. 17 had a Braves game on almost any time during the season. I remember telling my kids not to emulate the player who always had a toothpick in his mouth during every at-bat. (I think it was Claudell Washington.) My kids were fans of his, and Dale Murphy as well.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I liked the old Braves announcers, too, but let's not forget that the greatest combo in baseball was the Reds' Marty Brenneman and Joe Nuxhall [​IMG]