1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BREACH OF PROMISE - Numbers 14:34

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Jan 7, 2011.

?
  1. a law

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. a pledge of allegiance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. a binding contract

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. an indenturement

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To celebrate the 400th anniversary of the KJV I’m examining some English expressions that have been popularized in the Authorized King James Version.

DEFINITIONS:

Breach of Contract

A violation of a contract by either failing to perform one’s own contractual obligations or by interfering with another party’s performance of their obligations.

Breach of Promise
    “Marriage is preceded by a contract of engagement – a contract to marry, a betrothal, an espousal.
    Espousals do not require any formalities and may be contracted in any way.
    Espousals may be cancelled at any time by mutual consent.
    Either party may terminate the contract unilaterally on the ground of fraud or for any other good reason, e.g., the man discovers after the engagement that the woman has led a dissolute life.
    The sanction for unjustified breach of promise is an action for damages. The wronged party recovers compensation for his or her pecuniary loss as well as for the hurt to his or her feelings.”
    Breach of Promise laws have been gradually phased out in most modern societies.
    e.g. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Consolidated Marriage Act of 1961 PART IX; 111A. Abolition of action for breach of promise

VERSION COMPARISONS

After the number of the dayes in which ye searched the land, euen fortie dayes (each day for a yeere) shall yee beare your iniquities, euen forty yeeres, and yee shall know my ǁbreach of promise.
    AV 1611 note: “ǁ Or, altering of purpose
    AV 1611

After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my ǁbreach of promise.
    AV 1873 note: “ǁ Or, altering of my purpose. See rather Job 33. 10 (Heb.).”
    AV 1873

According to the number of the days in which you spied out the land, forty days, for every day you shall bear your guilt [note: or iniquities] a year, even forty years, and you shall know My opposition.
    NAS 1995

shall ye beare your iniquity, for fourtie yeeres, & ye shall feele my breach of promise.
    Geneva Bible 1587

for a yere shal ye beare your vnrighteousnesse, euen fourtie yeres, and ye shall knowe my breache of promise.
    Bishop's Bible 1568

ye shall beare youre my?dede, that ye maye knowe what it is, whan I withdrawe my hande.
    Coverdale Bible 1535

by the noumbre of fourti daies, in whiche ye bihelden the loond; a yeer schal be arettid for a dai, and bi fourti yeer ye schulen resseyue youre wickidnesse, and ye schulen knowe my veniaunce.
    Wycliffe Bible 1395

Question: Why would translators use the phrase “breach of promise”?

EXAMINATION OF THE ORIGINAL LANGUAGE

The word translated “breach of promise” is found only twice in scripture.

The AV 1873 notes this by providing a parallel reference (Job 33:10).

Behold, he findeth occasions against me, He counteth me for his enemy,
    Job 33:10, AV 1873

The words translated as “occasions” and “breach of promise” are derived from the single Hebrew word, תְּנוּאָה (tenu'ah).

So the phrase “breach of promise”” is not explicitly part of the text.
    Where is the contract?

>>>>THE CONTRACTED PROMISE: (aka “The Mosaic Covenant”) <<<<

Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine;
    Exodus 19:5, NAS

The LORD will establish you as a holy people to Himself, as He swore to you, if you keep the commandments of the LORD your God and walk in His ways.
    Deuteronomy 28:9, NAS

QUESTIONS TO PONDER:

What was God’s action when the people of Israel rejected entering the Promised Land? (Numbers 14:28-30)
    Who broke the contract?
    Was the broken contract a justifiable action?

What is the contract God has with people today?

Rob

#1 Deacon, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2011
  2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From early times a man's promise of engagement to marry a woman was considered [a binding contract].

Think of Joseph and Mary, he could break his promise because she became pregnant prior to their matrimonial union.

If a marriage promise was broken without cause, the partner could claim "breach of promise".

Rob