1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Breaking Bad: America Has Used Walter White Logic Since 9/11

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Nov 2, 2013.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The earliest moral compromises made to fight terrorism spiraled out of control, doing grave harm at home and abroad.

America sometimes reminds me of Walter White.

Not in every way, of course. There isn't anything like a perfect parallel between the plot of Breaking Bad and the course that the U.S. has taken since the September 11 terrorist attacks, the unexpected trauma that made us look at our place in the world anew. I certainly don't think Breaking Bad's writers were attempting an allegory. But I submit that the show's arc (especially Walter White's character arc) imparts lessons about moral logic and its consequences that the U.S. ought to heed.

White starts off with everyone's sympathy. But as soon as the writers have us rooting for him to get rich (and get out) before he gets caught, they produce five seasons that amount to a slowly unfolding rebuke to everyone who felt any investment in his success.

The source of our moral discomfort?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...as-used-walter-white-logic-since-9-11/281029/