1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Breaking news actually old news "Early church Fathers Taught the Pre-Trib" view

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by revmwc, May 6, 2015.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The parenthesis Church is the classic view of dispensationalism and any of the charts shows it. If you claim to not hold it fine....but in fact if you speak of the Church AGE you are holding to it. If you speak of the age of grace...same thing.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I will say Amen to that. blessedwife318 noted on the thread "Out of Whose Womb" she was taught this in Bible College. So any of these Rapture Ready folks been to Bible College likely heard the same thing!

3. OldRegular

You can read about it on the internet! You will find little discussion on the BB about the "parenthesis" Church since all pre-tribbers claim they never heard of it???

4. OneDayCloser

OneDayCloser New Member

The OP is referring to Irenaeus' "Against Heresies" Book 5, Chapter 25, paragraph 3.

BTW, the entire Book does not talk about the "pre-trib" as Darby knew it. :D

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Never heard of it or read about it. God had it in His plan from eternity past. Scripture shows it and shows the Pre-Trib rapture and the early Christians believed it. The start of this post shows they did.

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I've been to Bible college and was not taught of any parenthesis Church. HAve been to several churches and had Several pastor who taught the pre-trib dispensational view and nope no "Parenthesis Church." So why don't you show where it is taught by dispensationalist of modern times instead of repeatedly saying that all Pre-Tribbers believe it, that simply isn't the case.

Now this post shows that at least three early church teachers and writers taught a pre-trib view care to address that.

7. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah it seems to be getting heated here over the term "parenthesis". I find it a little funny since in seminary (and if you were to go to any Reformed seminary) that term is used a lot in reference to dispensationalism. The best explanation for this would be that dispensationalists (at least consistent ones) believe that God's purpose in history centers on Israel and that the Church is an intercalation or implant (parenthesis is really the best word) in that plan. Though one can make an argument for it with Romans 11, covenantalists dismiss it as bad hermeneutic. Like Icon said, if you believe in a dispensational church age, you believe in a parenthesis church. I find all this funny because dispensational theologians have no problem with that term.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I agree with you. I have a similar testimony. "Intercalation" is one of those 25 cent words as well. My vocabulary is limited. I admit--I had to look it up.
    So if "intercalation" is a requirement to be a pre-trib, pre-mil, dispy that OR rejects, I guess I am not one of them.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not necessarily. That is only an assumption based on a belief of Darby-based dispensationalism, or your typical view of dispensationalism.
    How do you know that is what a person believes unless you actually discuss it with said person. Don't assume what you do not know. (I really have a hard time getting this across).

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

For Iraeneus the last week of Daniel is to be fulfilled and the dictator is said to come at the last half of it this Iraneaus "he acknowledged the phrase “a time, times and dividing of times” in Daniel 7 to signify the 3 ½ year reign of the Antichrist as ruler of the world before the Second Coming of Christ. He also believed in a literal Millennial reign of Christ on earth following the Second Coming and the resurrection of the just." Thus a full seven year Trib and a literal dictator called the beast in Revelation. Still shows the amil view does not follow the early church.

Next is Cyprian, in speaking of the Trib he stated "to depart from it as quickly as possible." Christ coming as quickly or swiftly as possible. Then he stated "by an early departure you are taken away, and delivered from the shipwrecks and disasters that are imminent." Early departure compared to a late one, such as a mid-trib or post trib view would show. The one which shows a church Harpazo or Rapture or Snatching away he says, "greet the day which assigns each of us to his own home, which snatches us hence" seems to be a reference to the Harpazo, snatching away and the early departure would be before the tribulation because he says "delivered from the shipwrecks and disasters that are imminent.He was speaking of? "terrible things have begun, and know that still more terrible things are imminent" the Tribulation that is terrible things as seen in Revelation 6-19.

The final we see this, Ephraim stated "we ought to understand thoroughly therefore, my brothers, what is imminent or overhanging." what was he referring to, "here have been hunger and plagues, violent movements of nations and signs, which have been predicted by the Lord." Again the Lord Jesus referred to the Tribulation and Great Tribulation that Ephraim is what was referring too. Then this " not other which remains, except the advent of the wicked one in the completion of the Roman kingdom" He saw the beast as the dictator of Rome. The Advent the age or however you refer of the wicked that again is the tribulation. Following he states, "prepare ourselves for the meeting of the Lord Christ, so that he may draw us from the confusion, which overwhelms all the world" prior to the advent of the wicked he says prepare for the meeting of the Lord that is what pre-trib teaching is all about. Christ comes for His bride before the advent of the wicked. Again we see "For all the saints and elect of God are gathered, prior to the tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins" "The elect are gathered prior to the tribulation that is to come that is to overwhelm the world."Clearly they were looking for the Lord prior to the Tribulation.

11. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL...I only remember that word because that was the only word a professor of mine could come up with.

12. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true...there are those who call themselves progressive dispensationalists who do not hold to that. However, I think of progressive dispensationalists as inconsistent...which is crazy since I consider myself a progressive covenantalist. lol

13. OldRegular

Many thanks for the information!

14. OldRegular

I can't say I blame anyone for denying they have heard of the "parenthesis" Church.

Really?

15. OldRegular

But folks on this BB get really steamed. Can't say I blame them. It seems blasphemous to me!

16. OldRegular

Try Scripture!

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: Ahhhh. Thank you:thumbsup:

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :(:(
    Brain washing, pure and simple. And they crank them out like donuts at your local donut shop.:(

19. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I showed tou scripture in the thread did Paul teach a Pre-Trib view. You scoffed and said no one before Darby taught a pre-Trib view. Now I show you folks who in fact did teach a Pre-Trib view before Darby developed a systematic view which is all he did. Now you want scripture, I have shown you both you continue to reject both even with proof before you. Look these men up I am fairly sure you will find there teaching.

20. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

He can't get folks to comment on his Of out whose womb Post so He Highjacks mine by advocating it and of course since you agree with him you help highjack this post.