1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bride of Christ question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Pastor_Bob, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that the Bride of Christ is the New Testament church (Eph 5). Recently, I heard a preacher say that he believes the Bride of Christ to be the Holy City, New Jerusalem, and he based it upon the following verses:
    Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
    21:9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
    10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

Apparently, he was taking this passage quite literally. I interpret this passage to mean that the New Jerusalem is a representation of the glorious church, the Bride of Christ.

What do you think?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be interested to see what HWIT thinks is the true Bride of Christ.

3. standingfirminChrist

I also have heard preacher's state that the Holy City was the Bride.

Scripture must interpret Scripture.

In Ephesians 5 we see a comparison of a man and his wife to Christ and the Church. We take the Church in this passage to be the Bride.

Is it possible that John was shown the city to represent the Bride as you say? or maybe John saw the people of God in the City that the angel showed him? If he saw people, then we could indeed say the angel was referring to the Church.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The book, Willmington’s Guide to the Biblewill show you the picture on Rev. 2:9, saying, “I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.” Please take this book and find page 586 and 587. When you find them, please closely look at that picture what it looks like on page 587. You will see what it is.

Rev. 21:2 refers to the residence of the redeemed, the heavenly world. This verse represents the redeemed church.

On other hand, the Rice reference Bible on Rev. 21:9 said, "The bride is the New Jerusalem. In the Bible, the relationship of husband and wife is used to illustrate the relationship of God with the nation Israel, and sometimes to respresent Christ and His Church. Here it respresents the holy and beautiful Jerusalem adorned as bride, the Lamb's wife."

#4 Askjo, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  5. RevJWWhiteJr

RevJWWhiteJr New Member

The True Bride of Christ

In this case it was taken quite literally, as it should be but from a different perspective that agrees with the rest of the scripture. The entire Church is engaged to Christ (II Cor. 11:1-3), but as verse 3 describes, most of the Church has corrupted itself. The true (future) Bride of Christ is incased inside the Church during the Church Age. She will be taken out of this world (the physical) at the time of Jesus' gathering of his Bride (caught up, whenever one believes that will occur) to take her back to the Father's house (NewJerusalem) where she will remain until New Jerusalem is brought down out of Heaven (from the Spiritual) to reside forever on the New Earth (The Spiritual and Physical merged).

What John witnesses and describes is New Jerusalem (the Holy City) prepared as a Bride adorned for her husband (The city is occupied by the Lambs Wife).

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

John 14:2&3
    2In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
    3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
    :godisgood:

John wrote of it here and gave greater detail of it in Revelation. New Jerusalem is the place prepared for us.

7. skypair

skypair Active Member

Pastor Bob,

There's extensive alusion to believers being "virgins"/prospective brides "espoused" or promised to Christ on earth (Mt 25:1-13, 2Cor 11:2, Eph 5:32.

There is also important reference to the wedding happening in heaven after the rapture (Mt 25, Rev 19, John 14). We leave earth as "espoused" and come back with Christ as His WIFE in Rev 19:7.

The way that the church gets related to NJ, to me, is that the church sends up the materials for the NJ/mansions through the "gold, silver, and precious stones" of 1Cor 3:11, 14 -- our "rewards" -- being used to build the eternal city, Rev 21:18-21. Notice the foundations and wall are of precious stones, the streets gold, etc.

So what exactly are these "materials?" They are the wisdom, thoughts, and glory of God that we take and display as part of the bride on earth (1Cor 3:11, 14.

NJ will be the home of the church during the tribulation and beyond even when it comes down to earth into the eternal kingdom of God. The New Earth/land is the eternal home of OT, trib, and MK Israel with "pearly gates" in and out for them to come and see God.

But it is interesting that they will be taken up to NJ while God "renovates" the earth and so, when NJ comes down from heaven, it contains a "wife" and a "bride," the latter the betrothed of God.

One more thing I might add --- all believers are in the raptured, glorious bodily state before they enter therein. But in order to receive that body, they must be justified before God and --- importantly here, SANCTIFIED by the indwelling Spirit FIRST. For the church, this takes place in the church age -- for OT and trib Israel, in the MK into which they will be resurrected bodily and come through Christ unto God.

skypair

8. kevin hobby

kevin hobby Guest

The first man, The first Adam and his bride were to rule the earth together
    Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth…

Before the bride came forth, The first man, The first Adam was put to sleep and his side was opened
    Gen 1:21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

The first man, The first Adams bride was built from a small portion of his body
    Gen 1:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

...moving on...

Abraham sent his servant into a far country to procure a bride for his son from his family
    Gen 24:2-4 And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh: And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell: But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.

The wife and her damsels ride the 10 (a number of completion) camels of the servant and meet the son halfway
    Gen 24:61-63 And Rebekah arose, and her damsels, and they rode upon the camels, and followed the man: and the servant took Rebekah, and went his way. And Isaac came from the way of the well Lahairoi; for he dwelt in the south country. And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide: and he lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, the camels were coming.

Only the wife possessed a vail with which to cover herself
    Gen 24:65-67 For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself. And the servant told Isaac all things that he had done. And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.

...moving on...

Ruth washed herself, anointed herself, and clothed herself with proper garments before going forth to meet Boaz on his threshing floor at midnight with a view to becoming his wife
    Ruth 3:3-11 Wash thyself therefore, and anoint thee, and put thy raiment upon thee, and get thee down to the floor: but make not thyself known unto the man, until he shall have done eating and drinking. And it shall be, when he lieth down, that thou shalt mark the place where he shall lie, and thou shalt go in, and uncover his feet, and lay thee down; and he will tell thee what thou shalt do. And she said unto her, All that thou sayest unto me I will do. And she went down unto the floor, and did according to all that her mother in law bade her. And when Boaz had eaten and drunk, and his heart was merry, he went to lie down at the end of the heap of corn: and she came softly, and uncovered his feet, and laid her down. And it came to pass at midnight, that the man was afraid, and turned himself: and, behold, a woman lay at his feet. And he said, Who art thou? And she answered, I am Ruth thine handmaid: spread therefore thy skirt over thine handmaid; for thou art a near kinsman. And he said, Blessed be thou of the LORD, my daughter: for thou hast shewed more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, inasmuch as thou followedst not young men, whether poor or rich. And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman.

And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen ["eklektoi" lit. few are called out]. (Matthew 22:11-14)

If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection ["exanastasin" lit. out-resurrection] of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:11-14)

...All of the Body is saved, but the Bride is called out of the Body at the Judgment Seat of Christ...This is why the 24 elders cast their crowns before the throne after the JSOC has occurred (it took place in Rev. 1-3)...The 24 elders represent two-thirds of the multitudinous host of angles which had originally been placed under lucifer (he, being the, at that time and remaining to this day, anointed cherub over this earth) before his fall (before man was created), but refused to follow in his rebellion, therefore necessitating that the heavenly government in relation to this earth be divinely reestablished (ie. "3 sets of 12" instead of only 1 set, thus constituting a divine perfection with in the government)...lucifer's rebellion also necessitated that he be replaced (As Saul) and Christ (As David) with His faithful, will soon be established in place of the current principalities, the authorities, the world-rulers of the darkness of this age, the spiritual things of the evil in the heavenly places...For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come...Thus, satan is only the god of this age and he knows this, that is why he is blinding the minds of the unbelieving lest the the good news of the glory of the Christ who is the image of God, should shine unto them (ie. the good news centering around when Christ "khristos" meaning "the anointed" shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works ie. the Son of man coming in his kingdom)...

[​IMG]

...And what is the purpose of The Sabbath Day, The Day Of The LORD, the age out ahead when Christ will reign with His Bride, over this earth as King and Priest after the order of Melchizedek and Israel will be gathered from all the nations, whither the LORD their God hath scattered them, and He will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast far off a strong nation: and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever...?...

Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel. (Psalm 2:9)

And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. (Revelation 2:26,27)

...To what end is this Rule with a rod of iron for One Thousand Years...?...

To this end:

Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all. (1 Corinthians 15:24-28)

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. (Revelation 21:1-4)

#8 kevin hobby, May 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2008
  9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Kevin, welcome to the Baptist Boardl. You didn't waste time with the salad bar, you went right for the meat,didn't you?

Your profile lists your home church as Christian. Please note that the debate forums are for Baptists only. If you desire to pursue this subject, feel free to start a thread in the "Other Christian Denominations" category. You are also welcome to post in the the fellowship forums as well.

Hope you enjoy your stay here at BB.

10. kevin hobby

kevin hobby Guest

Yes my profile does list my denomination as Christian...I was attempting to make the point that the Church is not divided, we are all ONE, we are all CHRISTIANS (perhaps I should change this in order to avoid this type of confusion in the future...Do you know how that I might go about changing it?). That said, my beliefs would probably most closely align with the Baptists...That's why I joined baptistboard.com...

...Now let's get back to the subject at hand...

#10 kevin hobby, May 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008
  11. skypair

skypair Active Member

Welcome, kevin! :wavey:

I think the point of this forum being Baptist only is that we know that there is a profession of faith (Rom 10:9-10) in baptism regarding the 7 "Ones" in Eph 4:3-7 that establishes the unity of our savlation and of the Spirit that teaches and guides us.

So if you have been baptized as we have been, I would think you would be a Baptist.

skypair

12. kevin hobby

kevin hobby Guest

...Thanks "skypair" and Yes, I have been baptized as is customary to Baptist tradition (Father, Son, Holy Spirit)...Let's not get too far off topic (ie. "Bride of Christ question")...As Tom Butler
    stated, I don't waste time with the salad bar, I go right for the meat...

One Body
    One Spirit
    One Hope
    One Lord
    One Faith
    One Baptism
    One God

...amen...

#12 kevin hobby, May 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008