1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bridge to Terabithia

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Oct 15, 2003.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Ever read the book or seen the play?

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

I've read the book, and so have most of my kids. Way too sad for my taste.

But my favorite Katherine Paterson book is "The Great Gilly Hopkins". My husband worked as a PIT with students who had emotional/behavioural problems, and that was a book he often suggested for the individual reading programs of the girls. It touches on many of the same issues/problems they had: foster parents, being abandoned by parents, stealing, racism, etc. And a clear presentation of the gospel to boot. He read that book many times over in his oral reading program--he'd read one paragraph, they'd read the next.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Very Interesting.
    I heard her speak the other day. Apparently she was raised in a Presby home and married a pastor.

4. russell55

russell55 New Member

Seems to me that either her parents or she and her husband were missionaries in China. Anyway, some of her short stories are about missionaries in China. And at least one of her books is set in China--"The Master Puppeteer" I think it's called.