1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

British Army expert casts doubt on 'liquid explosives' threat

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by poncho, Sep 19, 2006.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Terror plot scenario "untenable"

"The idea that these people could sit in the plane toilet and simply mix together these normal household fluids to create a high explosive capable of blowing up the entire aircraft is untenable," said Lt. Col. Wylde, who was trained as an ammunition technical officer responsible for terrorist bomb disposal at the Royal Army Ordnance Corps in Sandhurst.

After working as a bomb defuser in Northern Ireland, Lt. Col. Wylde became a senior officer in British Army Intelligence in 1977. During the Cold War, he collected intelligence as part of an undercover East German "liaison unit," then went on to work in the Ministry of Defense to review its communications systems.

"So who came up with the idea that a bomb could be made on board? Not Al Qaeda for sure. It would not work. Bin Laden is interested in success not deterrence by failure," Wylde stated.

Source.

What do you think Phillip, could this be done for real or do we chaulk it up as another plot that never was?

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

"Lt. Col. Wylde's observations would seem to indicate that the terror-threat narrative is being manipulated for reasons of political expediency."Imagine that.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I know of two household items that put together will explode . . .

I think they check for them . . . but, just in case they didn't used to, I pray that they do now.

PS - most officers manage and do not do.

IMHO . . .

#3 El_Guero, Sep 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2006
  4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

'HE' is not needed to bring down an aircraft.

The entire plane does not need to be blown up.

The shoe bomber only had enough explosive to make a decent sized hole . . . A jet liner has to maintain an airspeed of around 140 to 160 at a minimum for flight. If the detonation is in a good location, the wind forces at 140 miles an hour (hurricane force) will rip the plane apart after that. Yes, there have been a couple of planes land after a major structural incident . . . very few.

And the massive decompression would suck a few people out of the plane . . .

His quote is 'accurate' but misleading. If he is that responsible, I doubt that he expected his quote to be used in this manner.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

More from the article...

"I've been closely monitoring the internet communications of extremist Muslim groups inside the UK both before and after 7/7, and they are intimately interconnected," said Jenvey, who is affiliated with the London-based terror watch group VIGIL. "We've identified a coordinated leadership of at least 20 and up to 60 people, extremist preachers with blatant international al-Qaeda terrorist connections."

Jenvey noted that even though they are known to the authorities and are monitored while breaking the law with impunity, particularly in their private sermons, the police have failed to take appropriate action against them. "The police don't need to round up and detain thousands of British Muslims. If they only arrested, charged and prosecuted these 20 key terrorist leaders, they will have a struck a fatal blow against the epicentres of al-Qaeda extremism in the UK. But they're sitting on this."

If this is true why aren't these guys checked into the crowbar hotel already?

#5 poncho, Sep 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2006
  6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is a good question . . . Why are they preaching hate?

Why haven't the good muslims forced them into submission?

7. billwald

billwald New Member

If there were two common household items that could make a decent explosion it would be common knowledge because there would be normal people accidentally making explosions.

Google has complex methods of using common stuff but not just by dumping two together and lighting them off. Well, saltpeter, charcoal, and sulfur inside a pipe will work - use jet-x fuse.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Actually it is commonly known . . . and the book that it is in has been outlawed for 30 years . . . I would tell ya' what the title is, but I am in enough databases already . . .

;)

9. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

"The book" is not outlawed. It can't be outlawed, at least as long as the Bill of Rights still exists. BTW, I know of at least two of them, both of them very dangerous and the work of leftist radicals.

I got to look at one of them when I was taking a "properties of hazardous and explosive materials" course. The other one was in a now-closed shop in Mesquite Texas called "The Den of Antiquity." The owner told me that one day two men in suits came in and told him that he couldn't have the book. He told them that they were stuffed with prunes. They then said that they wouild prefer that he not have it. He told them to leave.

And that was that. One of the two books, BTW, is still available on the web, but I would warn you that some of the recipes therein are not only wrong, but likely to maim or kill anyone trying to use them.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

OK which is it . . . it is not outlawed, but suits won't let you have it . . .

11. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The suits will tell you it's outlawed. But whenever they try to stop it, they get slapped down by the couirts.

This is why Bush is pushing legislation to remove court oversight from the Bill of Rights, when he deems it necessary.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Sounds like a man speaking from experience . . .

. . . and I really want to believe you . . .

;)