1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Broadus Book Project

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang:

I hope all are doing well. I have a problem with which I need some help. What better place to turn than my ole buddies on the BB?

I am writing up a book proposal for Broadman & Holman Academic Division of Lifeway. I have many great authors of whom I could name but I dare not only to say many of you will want to get the volume and read it, have it, and/or critique it. What the proposal asks is what I will do to advertise the work and try to get it out there for sale and such.

I think any Baptist whose roots go back into the SBC, even an IFBer, would want the work in their hands as a reference. It has Broadus's many aspects in ministry as NT scholar, Rhetorician (as you could well imagine :laugh: !), pastor, teacher, seminary builder & co-founder, denominational statesman, etc. The chapters are too many to number here, but I guarantee that if you buy it you will like it just for who has written the chapters.

Anyway, I need to know if any of you will consider buying it, reading it, critiquing it, etc. This is the only place I knew on the BB that was "hand grenade" close to post this type of request. Let me know! ASAP, b/c I need to finish up the proposal and get it in.

Let me know what you think! It may be a few months b/f it actually comes to be published but I am working as hard as I can and this proposal is the thing at hand just now. 7 of the 10 chapters are "in hand!" PTL! This is a bit like herding cats.

Please advise and stay in touch!!!

sdg!

rd

2. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Rhet,

I would be very interested in such a book. I recently read A Texas Baptist Power Struggle: The Hayden Controversy by Dr. Joseph E. Early and enjoyed it immensely. I personally love historical/biographical/theological works. I think there enough "Baptist buyers" out there that would appreciate something other than the usual fluff published by B&H. However, that's a discussion for another day!

You can take the above opinion and $1.50 and get a refreshing Diet Coke!

-Matt

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro Johnson Response

Bro. Johnson,

We mainly tried to "pitch it" to the ones who teach Church History, NT, Baptist History, and the Pastoral Ministries. It should have a broad appeal. But, if anyone is interested in the 19th century of Baptist life it will certainly have merit.

As we go along I will put out times and names and dates as such. I am just now testing the waters.

Thanks for the encouragement.

sdg!:laugh:

rd

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

IFB ties

Rhet, I will be very interested in reading the book. Broadus is one of my favorites who has much respect in IFB circles. Let me know where I can purchase the book as soon as it is published.

IMHO, your book deserves wider distribution than primarily a book for folks in the SBC. It ought to be of interest to Baptist and evangelicals of whatever stripe. Whereas you will find much natural support within certain SBC circles (e.g. SBTS, Founders Ministries, et. al.), you will need to reach out to get the attention of other Baptists. My recommendation to break into the IFB movement is to acquaint some of the active teachers in Baptist history with the book. I would suggest Bob Dalton (Crown College), David Beale (BJU) and David Cummins (Baptist Historical Society and Baptist World Mission).

I am looking forward to reading—best wishes.

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

Why might you think I would care to read a book on John Albert? :thumbs:

Blessings,
    Bill

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes, yes, and yes!

I would think this would be ideal for any pastor or for the academic community especially within the SBC, but not at all limited to it. Broadus's contributions to the study of homiletics are unequaled. His book was the primary preaching textbook for eeons, and is still considered the fountainhead in the field (not just in evangelical circles, either. I know some mainliners who have used the book in their classes as well). I would argue that Haddon Robinson's Biblical Preaching (probably the modern equivalent of Broadus's work) owes a debt to Broadus (Robinson hammers away the "big idea" while Broadus called it the theme or subject if memory isn't failing me, and I fear it is). There is no new thing under the son in this regard. Every major preaching work of note has expanded on Broadus in some way, shape or form. Seriously: have you read anything noteworthy that hasn't expounded exposition, illustration, argumentation and application as the method for sermon construction?

Craig Loscalzo argued for the importance of Broadus's contributions in his article in "Handbook of Contemporary Preaching", ed. by Michael Duduit.

I know, I know...you probably could've expected to hear me praise Broadus! :smilewinkgrin:

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I would be interested and willing to help.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Better that you do the writing than for me to do the writing!

When is it out?

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you were better than they at advertising and selling the book why would you go through them?

10. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus Update

Gentlemen (and gentle ladies),

I have written, edited, printed out, FedExed, the Broadus Project to the lead editor of B & H Academic division. Please pray (if you have an interest) that God's will "will be done on earth!" and this can somehow make a small contribution to that to His glory!

I want to be excited about it. But, I've been around enough to know that it is not a "done deal" until I have a copy with my name on the cover laying on my desk.:laugh:

Thanks for all of your support.:wavey:

sdg!

rd

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The only way I can be more pleased is when it's open on my desk :)

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I would be interested in reading your work.:wavey:

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I am a little late to the party, but I would be interested. My fellowship, the BBF, and it's associated colleges might also find the work profitable.

Keep us posted.

Mex

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mexdeaf Response

Thanks for the good word. But, may I ask, why would the IFB folk want to read some such from the likes of an SBC "hand?"

Don't get me wrong, I want to sell books and get this volume out there. I would just like to know why you think it would have a broader appeal?

This is an "FYI" in reverse!:laugh:

sdg!

rd

15. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Aw shucks

Hey now! Wait a minute! A lot of us IFB guys claim Broadus, Manly, Boyce, et. al. in our spiritual heritage too. You can't claim a monopoly on these guys! :laugh: After all, who knows, perhaps they would have become IFB if they had been living in the 1960-70's like many of us. :tonofbricks:

They did deal quite sternly and separate from Crawford Toy, you know.

As for the SBC author of the book, well.................................he ain't such a bad guy either. :smilewinkgrin: So, I'm going to plug this book in IFB circles.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Wellll, when ya' say it like that . . .

:laugh:

17. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadus Update

Gentlemen (and Gentle Ladies),

I heard from the publisher on Saturday. The representative wanted me to do just a couple more "hoop jumps" and then we should be "good to go." I will keep all of you "in the know" as much as I can. I am still a little ansy until I have a contract "in hand!" You know how that goes I am sure.

Also, two of the last three contributors have told me that their respective chapters should/would be in my hands in a couple of weeks.

This is FYI!

Please pray for the project and process.:praying: I had no idea that the learning curve was going to be so long and so steep!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd