1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brokenness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jim62, May 7, 2012.

1. jim62

jim62 New Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](Psa. 51:17; 34:18)
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    An Illustration of this is an unbroken colt:
    [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]By nature the colt is a wild, lawless creature. At the merest suggestion of a bridle or a saddle, it will rear, bolt, leap and kick. It may be a beautiful, well-proportioned animal, but as long as it is unbroken, it is useless as far as service is concerned. Then comes the painful, prolonged process of bending the colt’s will so that it will submit to the harness or saddle. Once the colt’s will has been conquered by a higher will, the animal finds the real reason for its existence. (‘Tis true of us as well.)

An illustration from Matthew 11:28-30: Christ may have made wooden yokes. Someone has beautifully suggested that if there had been a sign over the door of His shop, it probably would have read, “My yokes fit well.” But the point for us is that our divine Lord is still a yoke maker. He says, “Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Yokes are for those who are broken and submissive. Our wills must be subdued and yielded before we can learn of Him. He was gentle and lowly in heart. We must become like Him, and only in so doing we will find rest for our souls.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Elements of True Brokenness
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Now we come to basic questions, “What is meant by true brokenness? How does it manifest itself in a believer’s life? What are some of its basic elements?”

I. Repentance, Confession, Apology:1. One of the first things is a readiness to confess sin to God and to those we have wronged.

2. A broken man is quick to repent. He does not try to sweep sin under the carpet. He does not try to forget it with the excuse,”Time heals all things.”

3. He rushes into the presence of God and cries, “I have sinned.” Then he goes to whoever has been hurt by his actions and says, “I was wrong. I am sorry. I want you to forgive me.”

4. If on the one hand he ... a) knows the scalding shame of having to apologize, b) on the other hand he knows the great release of having a clear conscience and of walking in the light. (I John 1:6-7, 9)

5. True confession does not gloss over sin or cover up its reality.

II. In David’s life we have a vivid illustration:

David’s life was clouded by sin and failure, but the thing that endeared him to God’s heart was his deep penitence. In Psalms 32 and 51 we retrace with him his transgressions, sin and iniquity.
    We watch him during the time when he refused to repent; life then was physical, mental and spiritual misery. Nothing was right. It seemed that everything was out of joint. Finally he broke. He confessed and God forgave. Then the bells began to ring again and David had recovered his song.
    [/FONT]

2. jim62

jim62 New Member

GOT AN EMAIL, SO THAT'S WHY I'M BACK!:jesus:

3. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Glad to see it.:thumbs:

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jim- Do you think there are degrees of brokenness? After all, Paul said that he did that which he did not want to do, and vice vera. I don't think it can be said he was not a broken man.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm glad you're back Jim. You're posts are very edifying and we need that here. I will confess that many of my posts are not edifying. :(

This OP is spot on and I really enjoyed it. (accept for the fact that it convicted my spirit...didn't really enjoy that, but it's necessary :))

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I've heard people ask how in the world could David be a man after God's own heart and this is exactly what I have always thought God meant by that statement.
    When we sin and immediately run to God for confession and forgiveness, I think we all become a man or woman after God's own heart. This is what He is seeking from us. A broken and contrite spirit, God will not despise.

7. jim62

jim62 New Member

I guess their are degrees of brokenness depending on the person, like you said Paul in Romans 7, and like David in Psalm 51, but the brokenness God is looking for is in Psalm 51:17---
    Psalm 51

King James Version (KJV)

51 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
    2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
    3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
    4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
    5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
    6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
    7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
    8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
    9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
    10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
    11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
    12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
    13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
    14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
    15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
    16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
    17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
    18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
    19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

8. jim62

jim62 New Member

I got saved May 13 1980, I ran from God for 25 year hiding behind a bottle, untill I was put in a place where I couldn't run any more 5 years ago. and in that 5 years through prayer and fasting I fell in love with ABBA Father, LORD Jesus, Holy Spirit. It's not about Jim any more, It's about my LORD and my God!

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That sounds a lot like my story. Only I didn't hide behind a bottle, but behind and unsaved husband who refused to go to church and submit to God. One day God showed me that I was responsible for my own walk with Him and it changed my life.