1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brown says knife-carrying "unacceptable"

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by poncho, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well I missed that. Our land-use regulations are usually set by local authorities, and NCT's local situation may differ. Being local doesn't necessarily mean they are good regulations, since the folks who serve on planning commisions tend to be those who have a personal stake and are pro-development of all sorts. But overall we have no lack of zoning and land-use laws in the US.

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Why should gang-related murders be taken out of the equation? We have gangs here too, though probably not on the scale you do. And is a "gang-related murder" any the less murder?

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Our land use restrictions are more liberal than most. They are still to restrictive to me. The example Matt used of
    is much closer to what I believe they should be. If the land belongs to you then I think you should be able to do whatever you want and I would include strip mining or the disposal of toxic waste. The only restrictions I would put would be if it affects neighboring land like if I pour clorine in a stream on my property and it kills fish downstream. To me that is liberty. Now if the land doesn't really belongs to me but belongs to the King or the "People" (communism) then you can put any restrictions you want on it. But if its my land I should be free to do what I want.

When we talk about loosing our freedom in small steps I think land use restrictions are a great example of how we in America are loosing the rights earlier generations worked so hard to win and protect. The fact that emminent domain can be used to condemn and seize my land scares me a lot more than the idea that Nancy Pelosi will take away my revolver.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see the right of self defense equal to landownership.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I can't agree with the sort of free-for-all land usage you're espousing here, NCT. "One man's meat is another man's poison": I for one would be greatly unhappy if my neighbour was allowed to do that sort of thing on his property; quite apart from adversely affecting my enjoyment of my own private property, it would drastically reduce the value of my property, and I would expect to be compensated for my resulting losses on both fronts. Now, if I'm a rich man, that's perhaps not too much of a problem: I can launch a civil action in the law courts against my neighbour for nuisance and get my money that way. But what if I'm a poor man? It seems to me therefore that this kind of free-for-all can only benefit the rich and powerful, and I seem to recall that the Bible has quite a bit to say on that issue...

6. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

People in gangs are usually there because they choose to be. A lifestyle choice you could say, and killing rival gang-members is part of the deal for them. Sort of a private war, and not related to mainstream life. Yes I'm sure there are many more gangs here than in the UK.

7. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes sir, I generally agree. The thing is that in high density areas, everything you do affects lots of other people. My parents were country people, and they pretty much built what they wanted, and used their land as they saw fit. It's not the same in a city though.

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

No...I asked a series of questions. You only gave one answer, you tried so you get points for that. "the risk of a fatal stabbing is halved" From what I'm reading you're okay with the idea that individuals who seek to obey the law and get stabbed like half of our boys here so long as the numbers of stabbings are reduced. Is that about right?

What about this question?

"If a ban on knives fails to stop stabbings from taking place in a locked down population under constant supervision (prison) how is it supposed to work any better in a "free" society?"

BTW, I've been in a few fist fights and don't consider myself a criminal. I never started one but I never shied away from defending myself to the utmost of my ability either. Could be our law abiding boys were fighting to defend themselves. Surely you don't think one a criminal for defending himself?

#68 poncho, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  9. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Depends how the fight starts; usually over here they are drunken brawls on a Friday or Saturday night where all parties are committing a number of criminal offences. So, yes, anything that reduces the number of fatal stabbings is to be welcomed. Surely you don't want to increase the numbers?

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I tried to find any statistics about stabbings in prison, but failed. All I can say is that it seems a very rare occurence indeed here, compared to what appears to happen in America.

11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Maybe because America has one of if not the largest prison population in the world.

We're "tough on crime" here even small non violent infractions may get you locked up.

Today the United States has approximately 1.8 million people behind bars: about 100,000 in federal custody, 1.1 million in state custody, and 600,000 in local jails. Prisons hold inmates convicted of federal or state crimes; jails hold people awaiting trial or serving short sentences. The United States now imprisons more people than any other country in the world—perhaps half a million more than Communist China. The American inmate population has grown so large that it is difficult to comprehend: imagine the combined populations of Atlanta, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Des Moines, and Miami behind bars. "We have embarked on a great social experiment," says Marc Mauer, the author of the upcoming book The Race to Incarcerate. "No other society in human history has ever imprisoned so many of its own citizens for the purpose of crime control." The prison boom in the United States is a recent phenomenon. Throughout the first three quarters of this century the nation's incarceration rate remained relatively stable, at about 110 prison inmates for every 100,000 people. In the mid-1970s the rate began to climb, doubling in the 1980s and then again in the 1990s. The rate is now 445 per 100,000; among adult men it is about 1,100 per 100,000. During the past two decades roughly a thousand new prisons and jails have been built in the United States. Nevertheless, America's prisons are more overcrowded now than when the building spree began, and the inmate population continues to increase by 50,000 to 80,000 people a year.

The nearly two million Americans behind bars—the majority of them nonviolent offenders—mean jobs for depressed regions and windfalls for profiteers

SOURCE...

So we see that crime does pay. Think of all the people who'd be put out of work here if the crime rates suddenly fell. Less crime, less jobs and opportunities. More crime, more jobs and opportunities. Outlawing objects like knives and guns turns otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals and would be cash cows for the state and certain private business interests.

#71 poncho, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.