1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Buffalo meat kosher

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Ben W, May 10, 2006.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Although it is farmed here, I have never tried this?

-------------------------------------------------

- How about throwing a water buffalo steak on the barbeque to impress your friends? Chief Sephardi Rabbi Shlomo Amar would not object, he might even dig himself. After two years of deliberations, Amar ruled Tuesday that water buffalo (jamoose in Arabic) is kosher.

But before ruling the buffalo fit for the most pious Jew's table, the chief rabbi meticulously investigated the bovine's culinary history, anatomy and eating habits with the aid of Dr. Zohar Amar [no relation to rabbi Amar] and Dr. Ari Zivotofsky of Bar Ilan University.

Shmuel Friedman, head of the Agriculture Ministry's grazing division, also helped Amar reach the bottom of the water buffalo quandary.
    As required by the bible [Leviticus 11], the water buffalo has split hooves and chews its cud.

Continued - http://snipurl.com/q9ig

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Lev 11 rule for land animals is "Chews the cud and has a split hoof".

And when you go to India - you not only SEE water buffalo in the streets you can eat them.

3. nate

nate New Member

Leviticus 19:19c
    "nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."

Do you obey this as well Bob?

4. gekko

gekko New Member

it says "linen and wollen" woven together... not two kinds of material...

but that is one to think on...

besides... bob was just re-posting what the OP had posted...

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

</font>[/QUOTE]Is that how you "exegete" Lev 11 Nate??

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have said nothing about Lev 19 nor is this thread about Lev 19 - however the "Logic" behind pulling that one out of the air "AS IF" it was exegesis for Lev 11 is very "instructive".

Nate simply abandons exegesis of any kind in Lev11, (Which is the only thing that references the OP subject on Water Buffalo) and implies the following "suppose there is a law you don't want to follow - and then you don't - whatever method you find for ignoring that part of God's Word "MIGHT" be usefull for me in attempting to avoid/ignore THIS part. So what is it?)

Those tactics make for fun side trails - but do not contribute anything to actual exegesis of the text of scripture.

And when you're done with that side-trail - you have exactly "nothing" to go on from a "sola scriptura" point of view when it comes to the subject of the OP.

In Christ,

Bob

7. nate

nate New Member

No I just don't think it wise to pick and choose which OT laws they are going to obey. In a very literal sense they become their own final authority.

8. Link

Link New Member

Giraffe is kosher, too.

I wonder if peacock is kosher. It looks like good eating. They got rid of some because of bird flu here in Indonesia. I remember thinking I wish they'd given me the meat. They look like big turkey's with fancy feathers. Too bad they are endangered.

I may have eaten some endangered meat without knowing it when some Balinese people gave me and my wife sea turtle to eat. Some of the turtles are endangered. They aren't kosher by OT law though.

9. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I had always wondered about giraffe, but I had heard it wasn't kosher. (But the people I have asked weren't really sure).
    Isn't it distantly related to horses?

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

</font>[/QUOTE]I just read this as BobRyan saying that this is how Jewish Rabbis determine what is kosher. I didn't think he was commenting on whether Christians should eat or not. But then again, I don't usually read BobRyan's posts so I don't know what his position is on this.

11. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

A friend I knew named Bob, who was a blind man used to go into restaurants and when the waitress would come up to take his order he'd say really seriously, "Hi, I'd like a side of beef with vegetarian sauce on it".... just to get a reaction.

12. gekko

gekko New Member

13. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hokey dokey....so is the platypus kosher.....if i ever want to eat one (eeeeep!)

14. Jacob Dahlen

Jacob Dahlen New Member

Yes, if killed right.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some people are arguing for "rats, cats, puppies and bats" as well as "buildings and rocks" as food on this board.

I stay away from that - but they seem to enjoy arguing FOR IT "as if " the Gospel is based on such extremes.

As for the Platy-snack. Lev 11 says that if it don't "chew the cud and split the hoof" it is not "kosher".

In Christ,

Bob

16. nate

nate New Member

Do you eat Pork Bob?

17. gekko

gekko New Member

chickens dont have hoofs...

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Bob cannot, and will not, clearly answer why he picks and chooses the levitical codes he wishes to obey.

I bet he's wearing a poly-cotton shirt--a levitical violation.

Welcome to the land of us heathen folks! [​IMG]

19. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

With birds, it is a different criteria. Even though there is no set features spelled out, rabbinic sources have identified things such as the feet and the way they catch and eat their food that determines whether they are clean or unclean. Like land animals, birds of prey are all ruled out. Basically, it follows the same behavioral (spiritual, metaphorical) guideline. Peaceful birds with more positive moral connotations are clean, and the ones with negative traits we are to avoid in ourselves and others are unclean.