1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Building character in a child

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Benjamin, Aug 13, 2008.

1. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

It just appalls me what parents make their kids do. Play son in a cast dont care about the bones in your arm you arent going to need them later in life. Oh my goodness if my son broke his arm and doc said no playing then thats it no playing, no practice and take time to recuperate. There is more to life than football and sports. I used to swim when I was in jr high and high school but I never did it to win I did it to build endurance and stamina. Although yes I did win a few of the competitions but the thing was I wasnt expecting to nor was I expecting to be this Olympic athlete, I made my practice time in the pool fun. And if I didnt want to practice there was no pressure. Life is full of too much stress and pressure and we dont need to heap it onto our kids. My son just competed in the 4-H fair and there was no pressure he signed up for the projects he wanted to do and he did them, he enjoyed doing them, he enjoyed what he learned and yes he won best in show on his guinea pig and several very big awards on the projects he took, but the bottom line was that there was no pressure. 4-H is something we work on all year long so by the time the fair was approaching there was no stress we knew what projects we had to finish and the timeline to get them done in. It amazed me at project check-in day when you have all these parents running around stressing and here is me and my child we walk into the check in with muffins done on the plate and we sit there and watch the judging and even my 10 yr old commented that there were kids that had to go home and hurry up and bake more stuff and his was already planned. We even went camping as a family the weekend projects were due and drove in from the campground with the finsihed projects. Its all about balance and peace and order in your life and thats in keeping with Christ first and allowing the rest to fall into place.

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

I hope you were not implying that I would allow my child to play against doctor's orders. If the orthopedist says he can't play then he can't play. All Benjamin and I were talking about is that there is an allowance in the rules that allows kids to play with a cast. Note the first requirement I listed. The doctor who put the cast on has to given written authorization that the kid can play.

No one is being made to do anything. My son wants to play. This is something he has wanted for a long time. Something he has work toward for the last 9 months. All those workouts, all those practices and now right before he gets to actually play he breaks his arm. Of course he wants to play anyway. He would play no matter what the doctor said if I and his coaches would let him. BUT WE WON'T.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well we saw the othepedist yesterday and got the permanent cast. The Doctor told my son, 4 weeks no contact. He can do conditioning work outs only. After that he can play with the cast for 2 weeks and the cast will come off after a total of 6 weeks.

My son was dissappointed but that still gets him back in for the homecoming game September 26th and the 2nd half of the season. I tried to get him to see it positive and use the cast as a "chick magnet." He is kind of shy and I don't think that helped a lot.

Oh well.