1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Building Program Survey

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by USN2Pulpit, Apr 11, 2008.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Does anyone have - or know where I can get a church-wide building program survey? We are looking to see where the church stands as far a building and what they feel are important aspects of the buidling we are starting...

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not sure exactly what you're asking since I was not in on the original plans of our church building project but we just added 25,000 square feet to our building. We didn't need to add to the sanctuary we currently have but we did need new office space (staff increased by probably 200% since the last building was built) as well as a large classroom for the handicapped to meet, another large classroom for classes, an elevator and a new handicapped bathroom. (We have a large handicapped ministry and had really no good place to put them to meet for Sunday School.) We did the entire project with cash - not starting until we had a good enough chunk to get mostly through the project. We also allowed the church congregation to do a lot of the labor that could be done by them - putting down and screwing down subflooring, framing, sheetrocking, painting, wallpapering, trim, ceiling tiles, etc. We added the 25,000 square feet for about $1.8 million or so (not bad considering a 3500 square foot home will cost you $800,000 around here).

What sort of things are you looking for? If you'd like, I can see if our missions pastor who was in charge of the project (he acted as GC) would be willing to e-mail you with more info. He's in Cuba right now so I don't want to commit him just yet. LOL

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Three things are important.
    1. Money you have to spend.
    2. Acoustics - most often neglected with serious consequences.
    3. Usage of the building

If a limited amount of money is available you can always build smaller and dad on later if you build the building right. While you may be limited in the funds available you can go to more services and use the same size building.

I am a semi retired GC and find that the majority of people do not have a clue about buildings. Once I worked with a church where the people knew little about building and it was awful working with them. A few years ago Iworked with a church and some of the men in the church were tradesmen and one was a building inspector. Those people were great. They knew what they wanted and were knowledgeable. The problem with a lot of churches is that the people are not professionals and do not think that way.

4. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Are You SBC?

If so, check with your state's convention office to see if they have trained building consultants. I am in Alabama and am a building consultant for our state board of missions. I feel pretty your state's convention can help you. If you are not SBC, you can probably still receive help from one of the consultants.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know some of the people at Brown Church Development located in Kearney, Nebraska. Their phone number is 308.338.1212

Their website is at http://churchbuilders.net/index.asp

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Most of the churhes I have been in have created forms of "opinion" or just from leadership made decisions.