1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bumper sticker

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Jan 19, 2006.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

The bumper sticker said:

Liquor will leave you breathless
    Drugs will leave you senseless
    Jesus won't leave you regardless

Anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

This sticker caused quite a discussion between my 13 year old and myself. We decided we'd like to hear what other's thought about it.

2. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Leaving aside (please!) the question of whether drinking itself is wrong and whether these things actually have the effects listed, a possible implication is that it's fine to buy fire insurance and then go party. I don't think that is the intended meaning, though!

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the writer of the bumper sticker probably meant that one should not get into liquor or drugs because of their negative effects and and Jesus is the only way to personal fulfillment...

...but I can see where this message my appear to some people to mean that Jesus will be your Savior whether you use drugs or drink alcohol to the detriment of one's body, so it doesn't matter how you please your "flesh", your "spirit" is all that Jesus cares about.

But then again....I had to dig really hard to interpret bumper sticker that way.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

We decided in the end that it was just poorly worded. However it struck me as being off when I first read it. Read it a couple of more times before I figured out what was bothering me.

It just doesn't make it clear that Christ expects more from us than continued sin.

It did spark a nice conversation on holy living, though.

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

What I got from it was drugs and liquor will leave you with bad things, but Jesus won't leave you no matter what.

I don't understand how liquor leaves you breathless though.

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

I think breathless is a bad choice of words if the intending meaning is that liquor is a bad thing. The idea of being "breathless" is not necessarily negative. Is the phrase "You take my breath away" a complement?

7. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

"Liquor will leave you breathless"
    ------------------------------------------------
    It should be ..leave you homeless, pennyless, Godless...... you people know me! I'm not trying to start something, I'm just trying to help Christians act like Christians.