1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Burning Bibles?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DrJamesAch, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

BTW, I have a Scofield NKJV. I love the text but haven't read nor have I paid attention to what Scofield says. Yet, I am not much for any type of 'Study Bible'. The plain text of Scripture is fine with me.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just cringe at throwing away the Word of God.

I haven't looked into history, but does anyone know what was done with old manuscripts when the Scribes were finished copying them, and they were no longer usable?

I have Bibles that are now missing pages because I didn't have peace at discarding the Word.

Maybe I will just pass the problem on to my children.

I was at a funeral were a retired pastor's wife was laid to rest, and the pastor handed out "family" bibles to the family and friends. The only one he kept was the one he still used.

Perhaps I will do that, should my wife precede me. :)

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible is a printed copy of a translation of the word of God.

It is not a magical amulet. It is a book.

The word of God is not tied to the printed page. It has power when it is proclaimed, explained, memorized, and acted upon. You do not diminish the word of God when you dispose of copies when they are worn out or damaged.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Achey started this thread, because I made the statement in response to another's post in which he described his doctrinal shift, realized the serious errors of Scofield, and discarded his old Scofield bible.

Dr. Achey's overreaction was surprising at first, then I remembered that the doctrine of Scofield, Darby et al is pretty much the sole basis of the Christian alliance with Zionism.

And, in response to another's statements about my Covenant Theology, if it should ever be the case that I could baptize an infant in good conscience, I will probably join the Reformed or Presbyterian churches. But, I don't think infants should be baptized, and am not seeking to "come to grips" with the idea. I am a Baptist and am content to remain so. God made me a Baptist.

Note to noncalvinists: I did not seek to be a Baptist. I did not choose to be a Baptist. I AM a Baptist by no choice or will of my own. It is my state of mind, my state of being.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the clarification, Aaron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.