1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bush’s Snoopgate

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Dec 21, 2005.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Wow, I had not seen this article.
    Thanks for the link, KenH.

Hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas!

BiR

3. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Sounds like an Ideologue acting as if he is reporting news.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, Bunyon, you might notice that it is an opinion column, not a news story.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same wishes to you and yours, BiR. I know we have our disagreements but when it comes to protecting our constitutional rights and liberties from an overly intrusive executive branch you and I are on the same page. [​IMG]

6. Baptist in Richmond

Indeed, we do.
    Of course, our disagreements are a source for some great cerebral exchanges, and I very much enjoy these disagreements. You make me think, and I like that!!

I have to go to Arkansas again in March, perhaps we can meet up for a great cup of coffee and some good Christian fellowship. I was unsuccessful in meeting up with Joseph (ran out of time when a company emergency surfaced and had to return to Memphis) but I hope to stay longer this time.

Regards from downtown Charlotte,
    BiR

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I thought everything in the New York Times was leftist propaganda.

8. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"Uh, Bunyon, you might notice that it is an opinion column, not a news story"-----------------------------------------------------------------

My point exactly!

9. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Well as long as we are posting links to opinion pieces, here's a different viewpoint:

Byron York on Eavesdropping

10. Baptist in Richmond

You mean like the articles by Judith Miller, where she made the case for the WMD's in Iraq that are still evading detection? Don't you remember "Curveball?"

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's far more likely Bush , knowing how rabid the press and democrats are, knew what a distraction the story would be.(That's putting aside concerns over how many people could die so the Times could run a non story)

He knew that this little whirlwind would go on for weeks and, in the end, it would finally be dropped when partisan politicians realized there was no story there to begin with, similar to the Downing Street Memo bruhaha.

As an aside, I am also wondering when the justice department will begin an investigation to find out who leaked this classified information. :confused:

In the end it will be found that the President broke no laws. But, ohhhhh, the time wasted when there are important issues to deal with.
    :(

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    double post

13. larry9179

larry9179 New Member

It's a shame that America's freedom of the press has resulted in this self-imposed-watchdog-doubt-everything-you-hear-and-if-you-can't-find-news-make-something-up attitude by the media.

I know that being President of the most powerful country on earth can cause inflated egos, but I don't believe we've ever had a President who has intentionally tried to harm this country or its people. Even Bill Clinton loved this country and did what he considered a good job - even if most of us disagree with him. George Bush is a patriot and a man of compassion. If he felt we needed to monitor terrorists and anti-Americans already in this country, chances are there's some of them here and they need watching.

My attitude is, if they want to listen in on my cell phone conversations and it helps them find someone who's out to hurt Americans, let them listen. I've got nothing to hide, and when I do, I'll be sneaky about it.

14. OldRegular

You mean like the articles by Judith Miller, where she made the case for the WMD's in Iraq that are still evading detection? Don't you remember "Curveball?" </font>[/QUOTE]The WMD was found hiding in a hole, locked up, and is now undergoing trial; just in case you did not know!

15. Baptist in Richmond

Of course, the WMD's that we didn't find were the ones that Curveball told us existed. Remember how the Administration kept talking about the "smoking gun" being in the form of a "mushroom cloud."

Nice try, though...............
    :rolleyes:

BiR

16. OldRegular

Anyone who denies that Iraq had and used WMD are sadly uninformed! Next they will be denying 9/11 or claiming it was an Israeli plot.

17. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

We all know that Iraq had and used WMD's, we gave them these WMD's back in the 80's. The question is how long ago was it that they had them? 10 years ago? 15 years ago?

[​IMG]

18. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I am not sure how you are defining WMD's. But as it is defined in the common usage, we did not give Iraq any weapons of mass distruction. We did not give them chemical weapons.

19. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

From 1985 to 1989, the United States government approved 70 shipments of anthrax and other disease-causing pathogens to Iraqi scientists. The American Type Culture Collection (ATCC), a 73-year old nonprofit company based in Rockville, Maryland, was the supplier-exporter of the anthrax and other "cultures" to Iraq. These shipments were approved by the US Commerce Department's Technical Advisory Committee, whose membership included Robert Stevenson, then chief executive of ATCC. This was reported by New York Newsday in a November 27, 1996 article written by Patrick J. Sloyan, entitled, "Undisclosed Connection." Sloyan revealed that ATCC's role as a supplier of anthrax to Iraq became known on February 9, 1994, when Sen. Donald Riegle (D. Mich.) delivered a Senate speech criticizing ATCC's actions.

Source: Various Links

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yeah, but we expected them to be used against Iran. Saddam Hussein was our Strong Man back then.