1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bush, Cheney Concede Saddam Had No WMDs

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JGrubbs, Oct 8, 2004.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

President Bush and his vice president conceded Thursday in the clearest terms yet that Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction, even as they tried to shift the Iraq war debate to a new issue whether the invasion was justified because Saddam was abusing a U.N. oil-for-food program.

Ridiculing the Bush administration's evolving rationale for war, Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry shot back: "You don't make up or find reasons to go to war after the fact."

Vice President Dick Cheney brushed aside the central findings of chief U.S. weapons hunter Charles Duelfer that Saddam not only had no weapons of mass destruction and had not made any since 1991, but that he had no capability of making any either while Bush unapologetically defended his decision to invade Iraq.

SOURCE

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

What a surprise.

3. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Millions will still eagerly buy the administrations' excuses, though, rather than admit that "their guy" was wrong.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Did anybody REALLY expect to find the WMDs there? Really?

5. Pennsylvania Jim

Sure. Have you forgotten what you've been reading right here on the BB for the past year or two?

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

How can you doubt? Didn't Brother Curtis prove it to us? Remember?

"Exclusive: Saddam Possessed WMD, Had Extensive Terror Ties
    By Scott Wheeler
    CNSNews.com Staff Writer
    October 04, 2004"

And it was CNSNews! Couldn't be more credible! (WFTH-I)

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

There was an article in NewsWeek a couple of years ago that had satellite surveillance photos with the mobile labs circled in red. The article featured Colin Powell's assertions that the government knew that WMDs were there and pretty much where they were - therefore, there was no need for continued inspections. In fact, the nuclear attack from Hussein was as little as 45 minutes away. The initial invading troops were immunized against anthrax and smallpox. Doctors and emergency healthcare workers in the US were urged to get themselves immunized against smallpox. The aluminum tubes were said, by some, to be part of Iraq's nuclear weapons' program.

Yes, since all the world, according to some, knew that Saddam had them, most of us did expect to find them or, at the very least, evidence of them.

8. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I knew Saddam had them at one point in the past, simply because we gave them to him back in the 80's. The question was, had he produced any recently, and it looks like he hasn't produced any in over 13 years.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

My very FIRST post here - almost exactly a year ago I questioned it and I was severely ridiculed.

Saying that, some of those folks have apologised when they realised what a sweet guy I was ;) .

Wish I had documented my thoughts.

10. Pennsylvania Jim

But some of them will be entirely unaware that they have been inconsistent, and with absolute confidence defend every action of President Bush, even the actions that mimic the policies of Clinton, who they hated, despised, and ridiculed.

11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

One poster has not only insisted that WMDs were found there, but that as late as March 2004, both Blix and Kay said they believed the WMDs were in Iraq according to a CNN interview, no link, and articles, uncited, on the internet.

Fortunately, we still have the undisputed "Saddam was a very bad man" as justification of the invasion of Iraq.

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

And that poster remains correct to this day ... What a surprise.

There have been WMDs found there. There were not stockpiles found there.
    Blix and Kay both said they believed that Saddam had WMDs prior to the war, and the date was March 2003 (not 2004), just before the war. I will assume you just made a typo there.

Here is an article where Blix said the finding of the missiles led him to believe it could be the tip of the iceberg (or the remains). In retrospect, he believes it was the remains, but at that time, he still held open the idea that they had them. As he points out, (and I did as well), if they did not have them, why the bluff? Blix rightly puts this problem at the feet of Saddam Hussein. Blix did not believe there were no WMDs. He said there were sufficient questions. He wanted to continue inspections. He did say that Saddam's cooperation was based largely on having 200,000 troops on the doorstep.
    http://www.truthout.org/docs_03/061403C.shtml

LINK

HEre, he very clears refuses to say that they did not have WMDs: Asked if he thought Iraq no longer had banned weapons when he conducted his inspections, Blix replied: "It's one suspicion I have. You want to pin me down, but I still think it's too early to do that.
    LINK

HEre is an article where Kay outline numerous violations of the UN resolution over which the war was started. He says "We now have three cases in which scientists have come forward with equipment, technology, diagrams, documents and, in this case, actual weapons material, reference strains and botulinum toxin that they were told to hide and that the U.N. didn't find," he said Sunday.
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/10/05/kay.wmd/

Here is an article where David Kay says: "We were almost all wrong — and I certainly include myself here," said Kay, a veteran weapons inspector who along with many other experts said before the March 2003 invasion that Iraq possessed banned weapons.
    LINK

So the fact remains that what "this poster" said was in fact true. Once again, Daisy goes after the wrong person ... You think I just make this stuff up? You amaze me ... You really do. One day you will learn not to go after me because every time you do, you fail. I support what I say when I am not offering opinion on something.

*edited only to correct link*

[ October 13, 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Gina L ]

13. Pennsylvania Jim

See what I mean, C4K?

14. Pennsylvania Jim

I have several NASCAR Nextel Cup cars in my family room. It's a fact.

15. Pennsylvania Jim

Oh, and I also have four steam locomotives in my basement.

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't see what you mean PJ. EVerything I have said, I have supported with actual fact. I have made nothing up at all. I have not been inconsistent in the least. I have not defended every action of Bush, even those that mimicked the actions of Clinton. In fact, I have not defended very many actions of Bush. I do think in Iraq he acted in good faith on what virtually all believed to be the truth. It is easy to look back in hindsight and say we were wrong. We didn't have that option back then.

I do notice how you don't want to dispute the actual facts of what I said. I know why you don't ... You can't. You know I didn't make this up. You know that is the truth. And when you can't dispute the truth, you resort to attacking people.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Completely irrelevant comments, totally without merit. They simply reveal how far you will go to avoid recognizing the truth. You want to trivialize it rather than respond to it. But being silly about it doesn't change it.

Realize the truth: There are apparently no stockpiles of WMDs. But when that charge was made and acted on, it was in good faith, based on intelligence that the whole world acknowledged as solid.. THat is the truth you want to ignore, and you will. But you will be wrong to do it. I have proven teh case above.

18. Pennsylvania Jim

No, it's true. If you were to visit my home, I could show you both the cars and steam locomotives. Just because you don't have a love for the truth, and an absolute objectivity, like me, doesn't make my locomotoves go away.

19. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

The WMD's that were found were so old the were not useable. The "missles" that were found, were so rusted and had so many holes in them they couldn't be fired. Which confirms that Saddam had WMD in the 1980's and even as recent as 1991, but never had the WMD's that the Bush administration said he had in the last 13 years.

The Bush administration had written their plan to invade Iraq in 1998 and 1999, before Bush was even elected. 9/11 made their invasion a possibility, the WMD myth gave them what they needed to make enough people scared of Saddam to support their invasion.

Now they are trying to justify the invasion with a simple, "Saddam was a bad guy!". bush needs to admit the invasion was a bad idea and work to get our troops out as soon as possible.

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Did I say it wasn't true??? Or did you fail to read closely again? I think the latter is clearly the case ... [​IMG] :rolleyes:

I think you are so driven to try to catch me in a slip up that you don't even read closely. YOu assume what something says. You thought I would disagree with you on your statement. I didn't ... but you apparently didn't stop to notice that I didn't dispute your claim. It was an irrelevant claim. It may be true; it may not. I don't really care. I was talking about different issues.

Now, do you want to address the facts that I cited? Would you like to address the quotes that I gave in support of what I said? Or would you like to go on triviliazing it and trying to distract from the issue?