1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bush Expected to Veto 'Hate Crimes' Bill

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Yes, I understand.

Yet there are more important things that not electing someone "not pro-murder."

Why won't you
    have to account for those things?

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pertaining to elections, what is more important for a Christian?

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Hate Crimes?

Click the link to read the rest.

4. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

I can think of no more ignorant a mindset than one who holds prejudice against a person(s) due to race, creed or sexual orientation. This mindset is generally based in fear but is also taught by parents or elders in communities; usually communities who tend to separate or isolate themselves.

Social equality should not only be celebrated but it should be fought for.

Even in this 21st century we find social equality to be no more than a myth in many places in the United States, not to mention the rest of the world.

People have to be educated, people have to stand up and reach out to others in the many sub-cultures we share our cities and towns with. People need to speak up when they find injustice. People have to stop feeding the machines of the powers that be that keep certain people from achieving their goals and dreams. We live in a society that still uses the lens of skin color and sexual orientation to judge the heart and mind.

The opening line of our declaration of independence is

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.”

For this to happen, REALLY happen, change of heart has to happen. A change of mind has to happen.

Until then we WILL have hate crimes and people WILL be slaughtered out of ignorance.

There are laws in place that need to be upheld.

Murder, rape, arson, embezzlement, extortion, slavery etc. these are all heinous acts that if caught can land someone in prison for many years. Some sentences can be as long as the rest of one’s natural life or one can be put to death for their crimes.

The motivation behind one’s actions can in fact prove whether one is guilty of a crime, if others were involved and can dictate the length or severity of one’s sentence.

Learning of one’s motivation can also educate the people involved and to us the viewing/salivating public that these things do in fact happen and they happen for a million different reasons.

If a crime is committed against a person because of his race, creed or bedroom behaviors we can take on the responsibility of keeping our eyes open and our own selves in check and deal with these prejudices as we encounter them in our families, friends and most importantly in our own hearts.

These ways of thinking need to be exposed not legislated. Creating new laws for old crimes can be very dangerous. How many times have we all thought of revenge? How many people have had a life changing experience that changed our view of a certain people?

If we start legislating the motives behind the crime we open a whole new world.

Think of it this way:

Person A may hate someone because of his color and in his hatred burn down his house or church.

Person B may feel the same sort of hatred yet never act.

Both are racist; one is an arsonist.

Should both be punished?

What about a person who rapes and another who fantasizes about it?
    What about a person who robs banks and another who fantasizes about a life of crime and the glamour it can bring?

By bringing “hate crimes” to the table and labeling them as such I believe any party in the scenarios above can be found guilty of a crime.

When we legislate motives we legislate thought.

These are gray waters I don’t think we want to tread in.

Punish the guilty that break the laws in place. Educate the populous of the motivations and details behind these crimes.

Lawmakers and Police: DO YOUR JOB!

Creating new laws for old crimes can be very dangerous.

5. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Everyone gets an opinion. I find the snuffing out of an innocent baby very important. And I find those who support it very offensive to my Lord Jesus Christ and therefore find it very important that I do not support with my vote any candidate who is thus offensive.

What do you find "more important"?

God Bless!

6. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

I'm pro-life, but i'm not sure how this applies to the OP

not everything is about abortion

7. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I find promoting justice for all human beings very important. I find it more important to promote peace, to feed the hungry, house the homeless, eradicate racial, gender, and sexual bigotry, to fight against the human slavery trade... shall I go on?

Not killing babies is fine. Not killing babies, while ignoring, or even celebrating, the killing of someone because they are different, is abhorrent.

8. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are we so thoroughly conditioned that we no longer condemn homosexuality? The idea that sexual bigotry, and chosen sexual orientation, are to be protected against condemnation and God's Word, is abhorrent. And to compare them in the same sentence, and given the same weight, with 'color' and 'creed' is wrong.

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

And Tp, arguing with steaver over his valid point is petty. God has given you a good mind, use it wisely.

#29 hillclimber1, May 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
  10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I'm not allowed to respond to this here.

Suffice to say that this is not a theocracy, and you aren't allowed to hate or discriminate against someone just because they don't do things you like.

One-note songbooks are dangerous.

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Amen! Amen! Amen!

12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

God gave us only one "songbook" and we should all be trying to help one another sing from it!

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am all for the veto. When Bush steps up and does something right, he deserves credit.

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

That would be a really neat trick.

It means you and yours would have to get over the fact that people believe different things about the same God. Some of us believe that people you (speaking globally, not personally) don't like can become Christians. Some of us believe that God is more interested in justice than in minutae.

So, tell you what: you make that first step, and be an example, OK?

15. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

so is it OK to mistreat someone because of their sexual orientation?

16. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

I doubt that they necessarily believe different things about the same God but more accurately, they believe in two different gods.

17. underscoretim

underscoretim New Member

be more specific

18. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

The God of the Holy Bible finds sodomy to be an abomination.

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." - Leviticus 18:22

"And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; " - Romans 1:27-28

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind," - 1 Corinthians 6:9

The god of something else finds sodomy to be acceptable.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently not.

If you did, it seems you would also promote equal justice and equal application of the law for all people.

But you don't.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No it isnt, and it is not ok to put them on a pedestal. Am I going to be included in the hate crime bill because I am a Baptist Christian that believes in marrying someone for life of the opposite sex?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.