1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

But his blood will I require at thine hand...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Oct 27, 2011.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
    Ezekiel 33:8

A "troubling" warning here. "...but his blood will I require at thine hand."

Any insights on the application here? An Old Testament warning that doesn't apply today or is it a valid command from our Lord as applicable today as when it was given? ...and, how shall it be required at our hand? How are we going to be held accountable? I'll bet we all fail in this department. I know I do.

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I think you are missing the context here. God was speaking directly to Ezekiel. But, at the same time if God directly gives you or me a command we are held responsible to carry it out. If we are told to warn someone then we better do it.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How does this notion jive with "My yoke is easy and My burden is light"?

I'll give you a hint; the one is a glorious truth, the other is a horrendous lie when arbitrarily placed on the backs of God's people; yet there's a lot of 'shepherds' out there that won't hesitate to put that onerous burden on God's sheep, usually in order to make merchandise of them. Lies like this is what has driven many of God's lambs away and keeps them away.

4. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's what I was looking for. The other side.

The whole verse seems to me that if applied to us today we wouldn't be able to carry the load. Thanks folks.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ironic how we are sinful and wicked, but Christ's blood was required.

Thank you, Jesus!

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I like this answer but I also like sag38's answer. I don't see this as a general command but a specific calling. Paul said "woe is me if I preach not the Gospel", meaning that he could come under discipline if he denied his particular calling. Do you agree?

And it only makes sense if it is understood in terms of temporal judgement. To try to make this applicable to "soul winning" warps the grace of God. For sure, it definitely does NOT mean that if the guy that pumps my gas goes to hell then it's my fault if I didn't force-feed the Romans Road down his throat every time I stopped for a fill-up, much to the contrary of what I was taught in my former "soul winning" church.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:thumbsup: Amen brother.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    26 Wherefore I testify unto you this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men.
    27 For I shrank not from declaring unto you the whole counsel of God. Acts 20

Yes, I agree J.D.. And I agree that sag38 made a valid point also. But I do not believe that Paul is referring to eternal consequences in the above statement.

Temporal judgement is what I believe Paul is referring to in the above passage.

And so it was with the 'soul-winning church' that I grew up in.

#8 kyredneck, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
  9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Very good points. Thank you.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The day of prophets and apostles has passed.

Today we have the completed word of God which has been published in virtually all the nations of the earth along with the witness of the Holy Spirit sent by Jesus Christ to reprove the world of sin, of righteousness and of judgment.

Each of us can participate in the Great Commission given to the apostles.

Go or give or pray or all of the above.

HankD