1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Buth's Living Koine Greek for Everyone

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Broadus, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Broadus

Broadus Member

Has anyone had experience with Randall Buth's Living Koine Greek for Everyone? I understand that it is an immersion-type program, one more like the way we naturally learn languages than that which is traditionally taught in colleges and seminaries. I'm trying to regain and add to my seminary Greek and Hebrew which I let slide during my church history Ph.D. stint.

I'm new to the Baptist Board, so if I need to ask this elsewhere, please point me in the right direction.

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Living Koine Greek... now there's an oxymoron. [​IMG]

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

http://www.read-the-bible.org/LearnLanguages.html#Greek

Many good links here.

Basics are free. An easy way is to learn the alphabet first. Then while you are studying Greek in a book, also work your way through books of the Bible using a good interlinear Greek New Testament. I recommend starting with John.

Here's an excellent FREE basic course. Be sure and read the information before you start. Especially the part about a "little knowledge can be a dangerous thing".

This is; however, a good basic and free course.

http://www.theology.edu/greek01.htm

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I know this was not answering the question, but for those with limited funds, there is a lot of free stuff out there.

Check out ebay too. Often Greek interlinears and Greek text books are sold cheap. Especially if you don't mind a few marks or a loose binder, etc.

6. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

If you've got a good background I'd suggest Stanley Porter's book on verbal aspect. It challenges everything we've all read about tense and time grammaticalization. Good stuff!

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I'm using Buth's course on Hebrew. Excellent. If you want to hear Hebrew spoken and begin to understand the language internally, then I recommend Buth's courses.

I also have his Greek course, but I haven't started it yet.

Broadus, get it, you'll like it!