1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Buying a used piano?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Sopranette, Aug 15, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Come on now, surely you know what symbols put together like that mean?

I think you knew exactly what you were doing and saying, you just want to come off super-spiritual now and as ccr said play the marytr role.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

First, you know better than that. The context of the symbols made it clear that you were cursing.

Second, I suppose the practice started sometime in the 19th century, after the typewriter was invented.

Free country. Public forum. Public thread. I have the freedom to respond to anything I want to.

First, this is not he said, she said. All of our comments are plainly said for all to see.

Second, this is not a brawl. This is you being defensive about legitimate questions that were asked of you that you don't like. There is no hostility on my side, and I'd bet everything I have that there is no hostility on PastorSBC's side either.

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Blocked. And blocked. I don't need people like you two in my life. Happy trails to youuuu!

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Whatever helps you sleep at night, sopranette.

Oh, I forgot to add. Good grief. :rolleyes:

#24 ccrobinson, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2007
  5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

oh yeah, well , well, my dad is stronger than your dad... :rolleyes:

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

:laugh:

That post is full of win! :thumbs:

7. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

as long as you are Playing to worship God and to glorify Him that is all that realy matters.
    we should always play as if we are playing for an audience of one:jesus:

I have a confession to make also, I don't pirticularly care for southern gospel that sounds like ol twangy honky tonk music my self,
    I would much rather use an origional hymns also
    however I do like to take old hymns and give them modern rock sound.
    BTW Jesus is the founder of rock and roll because He is the Rock of my salvation and my name is on the roll! :thumbs:

8. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, Archery Addict. I needed that. People misunderstand that I DO sing for His glory, and I DO want it to be the very best I can strive for. I know I'm just a leeetle bit obsessed with music, but that is my closest connection to our Lord. If it sounds tacky or trite, that is an insult to Him in my mind, and I'd rather not be a part of it. If I'm just going along with the choir because that's what's on the page, and I have no emotional connection to it, that, to me, is an insult. For all my character flaws, that is the one thing I won't compromise on, whether it's singing for a crowd, or singing all by myself at home.

love,

Sopranette

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I sing all the time no matter where I'm at. LOL However, at my church, if you want to sing in the choir, you are required to attend choir practice every week.

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's one reason why it is so much easier to be a soloist. You get to pick the song, the tempo, the volume, etc. I'd rather just sing solo any day, because choir takes so much more discipline and structure.

Even if a certain choir song isn't my personal preference, I don't think of it as an insult to Christ, because some church members listening may be really blessed. Maybe it was a song sung by their mother years ago, or maybe the words really touch them in some way.

I guess it's kind of like this: Meatloaf really isn't my thing, but it's my husband's favorite, so sometimes I make it just because I know it makes him happy. It's more of a sacrifice, because my joy comes from pleasing him (or his appetite) rather than mine. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but maybe if you can look at choir as a pleasing sacrifice to the Lord it will make it more enjoyable for you.

By the way, I hope you find the piano you want. There's nothing like playing and singing all by yourself at home when you have that urge to cut loose and praise the Lord.

11. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

update:

Our Pastor just called and said I could have one of the old pianos in the old chapel! I'm probably going to call a local moving company and have them move it, since he said it weighs several hundred pounds. Now DH did move our fridge, completely full, on his own, but it was really dangerous. I'm trying to determine how much that would cost, to have them come out Sunday morning and move it across town.

love,

Sopranette

12. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Congratulations! I have a friend who decided she didn't want their piano. She gave it to me, and we had it moved for $100. Pretty cheap for a lovely old player piano!

I hope you enjoy your piano as much as we do ours!

13. Lifter

Lifter New Member

Instead of a moving company try your local music store. They probably have or know a piano technition who moves pianos. They are easy to move if you know what you are doing. The same person can tune it for you. You should also have that person check the piano before you have it moved. Otherwise you may just end up with a large piece of furniture that sounds horrible. Some old pianos won't hold a tune.
    Joel

14. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, Gwen and Lifter! We just had the piano moved today for a reasonable price, and they were very careful of it. It needs some new paint, but I've been scrubbing it all day, so it looks plain now, but sounds pretty good. I might have a tuner come out and check it out, but I have to wait for the extra funds to do so, because there aren't any piano experts near this little town, plus the holiday weekend. It's solid black, so I'm going to paint it with a lovely celtic cross and design (my educational background is in fine arts.) It's a work in progress, and the kids are all over it already. Who knows what possibilities it has?

love,

Sopranette

15. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I love the celtic cross design idea! I am of Scottish descent, so that sounds like something I'd like.

I was an art major, too, and I love to paint.

Post a picture when you get it finished, if you can. I'd love to see it.

Enjoy your new piano!!!